Reel with "thinner" foot

sdtrout

Reaction score
I am in the process of re-building a little 3wt. that I built a long time ago. So far I have removed the guides and old reel seat and put on the new reel seat. It's a cool little sliding band reel seat I picked up a while back.

Unfortunately, after I got the new seat on, I realized the foot on the reel I intended to use with the rod ( a TFO BVK 0) is a bit to thick so barely slides into the front hood. It seems to "catch" and the sliding band does seem to lock it in place but I'm not confident it will stay.

Does anyone know of a specific mid-price reel that has a thinner foot that may slide more fully into the front hood? Thanks.

Royce

TristianSutton

Reaction score
I am in the process of re-building a little 3wt. that I built a long time ago. So far I have removed the guides and old reel seat and put on the new reel seat. It's a cool little sliding band reel seat I picked up a while back.

Unfortunately, after I got the new seat on, I realized the foot on the reel I intended to use with the rod ( a TFO BVK 0) is a bit to thick so barely slides into the front hood. It seems to "catch" and the sliding band does seem to lock it in place but I'm not confident it will stay.

Does anyone know of a specific mid-price reel that has a thinner foot that may slide more fully into the front hood? Thanks.

Royce
All reels are supposed to have the same sized foot by affta standards

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

original cormorant

Reaction score
It's a cool little sliding band reel seat I picked up a while back.

Royce

I suspect the reel seat isn't quite so cool. There's a current thread on the uk forum concerning over-size reel feet with posters saying that they have successfully filed down reel feet to fit.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I've had some vintage rods (and a Scott F2) where most reels didn't fit. In my experience, Ross reels (or least those that I tried) would fit when others wouldn't. And though it was hit and miss, some of the older Hardy reels that I tried would fit. I don't know what your definition of "mid-price" is, but you might consider the Galvan Brookie. It would be ideal for a 3 wt (i.e., where you don't need a drag) and Galvan sells an alternate, thinner foot for the reel (I think I paid $15, but not absolutely sure). Note that the thinner foot comes only in black.

silver creek

Reaction score

Royce
As Tristan says the Reel Foot has a standard. You can compare your reel foot to the standard below.

mike_r

Reaction score
Mid-Nineties Ross Gunnison and Cimarron reels tended to have more slender feet than most other fly reels of the period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trev

Reaction score
If the reel foot projects into hood by 1/8" and the band stays in place the reel will never come off. However I don't have any faith in up lockers and would install a common rubber o-ring next to the sliding band to help keep it in place.
Insert the foot as far as possible into the hood and mark it with a piece of tape just touching the edge of the hood then pull the foot out and check how much cover you have, it may be more than you think.

osseous

Reaction score
If there's a standard, there are brands that machine the foot smaller than the standard. I just built a rod with a classic Bellinger nickel silver reel seat- only to find that many reels are a pretty tight fit- more that what I've found with stock reel seats for many years. The Ross Gunnison has a thinner foot to the reel seat than a Sage Spectrum Max- they are not built to the same spec

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
This is a very common problem in the bamboo rod 'world' where a lot of rods have sliding band seats. Further complicating things is the fact that seats vary from mortised to just a round 'dowel'. Add to that the fact that in spite of standards, I've found that reel foot thickness *and radius* vary greatly. As example, the new Hardy reels, tho presumably 'traditional' are very curved and thick. I have a new Perfect that won't fit any of my 'traditional' rods (i.e. bamboo).

It's very easy to sand the foot slightly and get a useable fit. The trick is to get a relatively large diameter dowel or section of pipe (1"+), wrap it in sandpaper, and slide the reel foot along it, gradually knocking off the outer lengthwise edges of the foot. It takes relatively little - check your work frequently - and being under the foot, has no visual impact on reel appearance. If you take it to fine grits, the modification will look fine. Ideally you could match the radius of dowel to radius of foot. That has been the biggest issue in my case.

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
Will also add that there *are* reels that will fit very tight bands/seats. The older Hardy's (for a 3wt a Featherweight would be nice) and even my newer (post computer age...LOL) Abel TR1 fits nicely. At least that's what I recollect... will pull some reels out later and check!

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Standard or no standard, his reel doesn't fit . You have two options , file the reel foot down , which I have done a few times OR buy a new reel . The file is cheaper .

fq13

Reaction score
I suspect the reel seat isn't quite so cool. There's a current thread on the uk forum concerning over-size reel feet with posters saying that they have successfully filed down reel feet to fit.
If you take a file or Dremel to it, you better love that reel as it is yours forever. I will buy a used reel with boat rash and dings, but if someone played garage monkey with the the thing that holds it to the rod? Hard pass.

trev

Reaction score
Standard or no standard, his reel doesn't fit . You have two options , file the reel foot down , which I have done a few times OR buy a new reel . The file is cheaper .
Since the reel seat is an aftermarket add on to a homemade rod, the much better option is to work on the insert. The rod is already "customized and has no "brand value" as a resale item- there is no reason to ruin a reel. Cheaper to replace the reel seat again with one that works for all reels than to keep buying reels in hope that one will fit a badly made seat. imo

osseous

Reaction score
Unless it's a Hatch, you could always replace the reel seat if you wanted to sell the reel later. I want to see somebody go after a Hatch's foot with a dowel and sand paper.....

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a problem with the foot of the reel unless they are cast and not finished to meet specs. I would suspect the issue is either the diameter of the insert or the rings themselves. If the insert is cork it's easily sanded down a bit. If it's wood you can still take some material off and refinish the wood with spar varnish. It's a matter of how much you enjoy tinkering, nothing can be done for ring diameter so I'm looking at the insert if it were mine. If you are a finesse type I'd say to consider creating a mortised area where the reel foot will mount. My little Orvis flea rod came with an Ambonia wood insert with silver rings. The reels sit well because the seat has a mortise for the foot.

sdtrout

Reaction score
If the reel foot projects into hood by 1/8" and the band stays in place the reel will never come off. However I don't have any faith in up lockers and would install a common rubber o-ring next to the sliding band to help keep it in place.
Insert the foot as far as possible into the hood and mark it with a piece of tape just touching the edge of the hood then pull the foot out and check how much cover you have, it may be more than you think.
Thanks. I believe this turned out to be the case. It appears to slide into the hood a bit more than I originally thought. Not by much but more than enough for it to stay in place. I may add the O-ring as you suggested. Thanks again everyone.

Royce

ratherfish

Reaction score
Interesting - I have an old J/C Higgins 3010 bamboo rod so I bought an old J.C. Higgins 312 reel, I kinda figured they were about from the same time-period. They are nothing special, but make an ok decoration by the fireplace. Anyway, I liked to never have gotten that reel in the seat. It's certainly not in there good enough I'd feel comfortable taking it out to fish with. I figured they were all standard too, but I promise you, it don't fit.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
We are talking about a TFO reel here not a Hatch. If it won't stay put and yon can not mortise a slot into the spacer (with a Dremel tool), just add a couple of drops of Gorilla Clear Glue and it will never come off. Silver is of course correct about AFFTA reel foot specs but no one is fining reel makers for being out of spec. The whole point is to avoid such fit issues by reel and rod makers following the rules but not everyone plays by the rules in anything.