Reno Area Fly Fishing

whalensdad

Reaction score
My wife wants to relocate to the Reno area to be closer to family in Sparks. I've been doing some research and it seems that the Truckee river is quite fishable and so is the East Branch of the Carson a bit to the south. She doesn't want to live so close to family, just closer than the 2000 miles we currently area. We are looking at both the Reno/Sparks area and the Carson City area. I'd prefer not to drive more than 20 min to get on a stream in most cases. Looking for suggestions.

fffl

Reaction score
I use to live in RENO 5 years ago and fly fished the TRUCKEE RIVER all the time before it went almost dry for 2 years. Fishing was great right in the middle of RENO then . Not only do you have the TRUCKEE but you have the LITTLE TRUCKEE , PYRAMIDE LAKE and many other waters too chose from. Reno is a great town not only for fishing but for quality of life. You'r making a good choice to move there.

mikew1959

Reaction score
I grew up there.
I think back then and those rivers were for tourist I never fished them back then.
There is good fish in there but we still considered tourist water.
Drive 110 miles south on 395 to Bridgeport California if that’s not too far for you And I can hook you up with a lake that has 2 to 3 pound rainbows and Brook trout jumping out of it grabbing damselflies and dragonflies it’s private and will cost you about $100 a day to fish it.. And if you’re in shape and can hike a little bit and I can send you a lot of places.... I am old and I miss it

whalensdad

Reaction score
I grew up there.
I think back then and those rivers were for tourist I never fished them back then.
There is good fish in there but we still considered tourist water.
Drive 110 miles south on 395 to Bridgeport California if that’s not too far for you And I can hook you up with a lake that has 2 to 3 pound rainbows and Brook trout jumping out of it grabbing damselflies and dragonflies it’s private and will cost you about $100 a day to fish it.. And if you’re in shape and can hike a little bit and I can send you a lot of places.... I am old and I miss it
I don't mind driving, I'm just looking to be in a place where I can hit the water easily after work or at the spur of the moment. It seems like the Truckee would fit that bill.

flytie09

Reaction score
The Truckee is a great river. It gets better the closer you get to and into CA. I look forward to my annual trip....except it always seems to happen to fall during Burning Man. Just watch out for the hippy nudists coming out of nowhere. Don't ask how I know.

Pyramid Lake is definitely on my bucket list.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Let's see an easy dozen rivers or creeks near Reno most famous being
Truckee River
Little Truckee River
West Carson River
East Carson River
West Walker River
East Walker River
Upper and Lower Owens River
Hot Creek
A whole bunch of smaller creeks off 395
A whole bunch of lakes the most famous probably are
Pyramid
Crowley
Bridgeport Reservoir
Twin Lakes
The June Lakes
Heenan Lake
I could go on... Many places and many unnamed places nearby to go but like was said before after work, hitting the Truckee is an easy one....

One site to check out is http://www.davessierrafishing.com/mapshtml/eastern_sierra.html

whalensdad

Reaction score
Let's see an easy dozen rivers or creeks near Reno most famous being
Truckee River
Little Truckee River
West Carson River
East Carson River
West Walker River
East Walker River
Upper and Lower Owens River
Hot Creek
A whole bunch of smaller creeks off 395
A whole bunch of lakes the most famous probably are
Pyramid
Crowley
Bridgeport Reservoir
Twin Lakes
The June Lakes
Heenan Lake
I could go on... Many places and many unnamed places nearby to go but like was said before after work, hitting the Truckee is an easy one....

One site to check out is http://www.davessierrafishing.com/mapshtml/eastern_sierra.html
Thanks for the info. Seems like a fly fishing mecca.