Reoccurring Theme of Pheasant Tails and Peacock Herl- Anyone notice this?

mtboiler

Reaction score
Peacock herl and pheasant tail are iridecent and seem to change colors when they move. The 'ancient' tiers seemed to see that it was great for attracting fish. Still works great today and many of our 'new' materials try to imitate them.

JoJer

Reaction score
I can't think of another material that looks so much like a bug's butt, say, house fly, than peacock.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Definitely. They match up like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. When I used a lot of Copper Johns I tied the thorax with peacock and the wing case with pheasant tail. I don't use that fly a lot anymore other than when nymphing in deep waters.

flytie09

Reaction score
Yeah.... I’d agree. They are both easy to come by. And they’re easy to use / tie with. The natural iridescence of peacock and the barbule structure of both make for some great spikey naturally buggy nymphs.

There are those materials you simply don’t want to run out of. Peacock herl, turkey tail, ringneck pheasant tail, hare’s mask, marabou, CDC, beads, wire, deer hair / tail...... I can tie a lot of flies with this simple lot.

When you get into chicken feathers and hackles..... then things can get particular and tricky.