Reprinting of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles

silver creek

Reaction score
Here's your chance to get a copy:

The used books are going at a premium:

duker

Reaction score
Geez, I bought my copy on sale a few years ago--had no idea it was out of print, or so expensive now.

Definitely worth picking up for any fly tyer--literally encyclopedic.

Scott

fq13

Reaction score
Lord, bought mine two years ago, with the flip beginners trout book for $90. I would pass on the latter unless you will be doing mostly trout flies, in which case get it.

But the bench side reference is worth every penny. It is to tying what the CIA's The Profesional Chef is to cooking. No real recipes, just every technique you could need, along with two or three variants. Any price under $125 is money well spent. It's 435 pages of photo illustrated good ideas that will save you loads of frustration. And the index is great. If you have to choose between this book or upgrading the vise, or buying a better reel? Buy the book! Can't imagine why it went out of print, buy while you can!

ts47

Reaction score
Lord, bought mine two years ago, with the flip beginners trout book for $90. I would pass on the latter unless you will be doing mostly trout flies, in which case get it.

But the bench side reference is worth every penny. It is to tying what the CIA's The Profesional Chef is to cooking. No real recipes, just every technique you could need, along with two or three variants. Any price under $125 is money well spent. It's 435 pages of photo illustrated good ideas that will save you loads of frustration. And the index is great. If you have to choose between this book or upgrading the vise, or buying a better reel? Buy the book! Can't imagine why it went out of print, buy while you can!
What is, "the flip beginners trout book"?

JDR

Reaction score
The Benchside Fy Tying Manual is the best beginner book, in my opinion. The way the book is published with split pages is brilliant. If you have never seen the book, the fly recipe (with photos ) is printed on the top half page. The bottom half (they are two separate sections) has the techniques referenced in the pattern. So you can stay on the pattern page while you move to the appropriate technique page. It makes it much easier to reference the techniques without losing your place while tying.