Resources for info and pricing?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I just watched a documentary about Hardy and then sure enough I see a hardy prince 5/6 reel pop up on Facebook marketplace for $65. Tried doing some quick looking on eBay and it was difficult to find a reel that looked similar to the one I was seeing. Post said “70s” on it but I don’t have any way of knowing. Are there any “go to” resources to help get info on older reels (70s might not be what you considered vintage, if it is from the 70s)? Also do you default to eBay for values or is there other resources that help with that?

flytie09

Reaction score
eBay is a honestly a good pricing guide... but many dealers on there have no idea what they have. Many are over priced or not forthcoming with all of their flaws.

There are 2x must haves for any serious Hardy collector or tackle enthusiast as far as dating them.

The first one was written by John Drewitt. It is the Hardy Brothers: The Masters, The Men and Their Reels. It covers Hardy brand history and the progression of their reels. The Uniqua, Bougle, Hercules, St George, Silex and their iconic Perfect. Covers 1882-1950s. You’ll be able to ID them from check design, foot, handle, maker marks and the lettering/design on the face of the reel.

The second is a little known 2 disc set known as the Evan’s tapes. In it he painstakingly details the reel changes through the years.

After that for 60s to modern Hardy’s ....It’s a few guys on here, google, the classic fly rod forum and the few Vintage Tackle dealers out of the UK. If you recall..... this site is owned by one of the oldest and biggest.... Thomas Turner.

The market is pretty soft right now. Deals can be had with some patience and haggling.

Stuff bought on Vintackle Tackle auctions like Mullocks and Lang’s are dealer prices. But man they get some juicy stuff.