Reverse Blind Splice for Backing

1flyjedi

Reaction score
I've recently seen a few videos about how to add in a reverse blind splice into your backing to create a loop. These are the videos:

Midcurrent Video

Rio Video

Does anyone have a preferred tool for creating this blind splice? I see in the Rio video, he uses piano wire. Has anyone tried this? If so, what size wire? I also have seen plenty of purpose built splicing tool/needles via an internet search. Is there one in particular works well for 20 lb dacron? Any guidance as far as to what size I should look for?

Thanks

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
I don't do that, but for similar work the smallest string from a guitar or fiddle have been just right. Piano wire = music wire = spring steel wire more or less.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
I use 12 or 15 lb fluorocarbon folded over and "mashed" a little with some smooth forceps. I keep telling myself I need to get a guitar string of something but I keep procrastinating.

bevanwj

Reaction score
This only works if the backing is a hollow braid. Many of the common brand name dacron backings are not hollow or way too thin to insert a wire.

osseous

Reaction score
I use a big sewing needle- works great...but a lot of it comes down to the material. Diameter, number of strands....but also quality. Gel spun is not all the same. Blind splice the Rio, and then try Hollow Ace. You'll far prefer the Hollow Ace- because its weave is highly consistent, and its individual strands within the weave are basically identical to one another. 40 lb Hollow Ace is easier to splice than 65 lb Rio

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Osseous,

I agree about the PP Hollow Ace 40# being easier than some others, it is on all but a few of my reels and those also have the Reverse Blind Loop in them.

wjc

Reaction score
I've recently seen a few videos about how to add in a reverse blind splice into your backing to create a loop. These are the videos:

Midcurrent Video

Rio Video

Does anyone have a preferred tool for creating this blind splice? I see in the Rio video, he uses piano wire. Has anyone tried this? If so, what size wire? I also have seen plenty of purpose built splicing tool/needles via an internet search. Is there one in particular works well for 20 lb dacron? Any guidance as far as to what size I should look for?

Thanks

wjc

Reaction score
It appears somehow I got a double post. Sorry.

Malin and American Wire sell 30 yard lengths of single strand leader wire from ).010" up. Malin's #1 is .010", #2 is .012" etc. I use either #3 or #4 for backing loops. That wire retails for under $3.00 here at the K-mart.

Cut a 3' length and bend it in the middle, then squash it down with the groove in fisherman pliers. You will need to either squash it more with your teeth or sideways in the pliers. I use my teeth since I use hollow spectra backing and don't want a scratch on the wire surface due to the miniscule filament size of hollow Jerry Brown or Toro Tamer PE.

Then bend the two ends into an acute angle so you won't inadvertently pull those ends up into the backing and have to start all over again. If using dacron trolling braid or colored backing, you may want to wash it with dawn first to remove the wax so it will be easier to open and to remove the drag on the wire.

Cheers,
Jim