Revisions to my Kayak Trailer Advice Needed

mike126

Reaction score
I'm thinking of reworking my kayak trailer and wanted some input. Currently I have a modified Carry-On 5x8 mesh floor trailer. I have removed the back ramp/gate and have installed 2 - 2"x 2" steel cross bars with cushioned platforms that are 5" x 13" to support the kayak hulls. Overall the setup works. I've taken it on 6 hour interstate trips to the Outer Banks and overall it drives ok. I did replace the tongue this year to extend it about 18" so that it would handle better with backing up and keep the boats a little further from the rear of my SUV.

Now I'm thinking of replacing the hull pads with bunks. I feel that the boat would be better supported and not have a tendency to shift on the cross bars when traveling long periods. So here are a few questions for those that use bunks:

1. I have seen a lot of bunks made from 2" - 3" PVC pipes. How well does that hold up on longer trips and bumpy roads at higher speeds (bridges and potholes)? It seems that the PVC would be brittle and break at the attachment point. Should I add a rubber bushing at the attachment point?
2. What are the advantages of PVC over the traditional 2x4 wood bunk? Is it that the PVC flexes better than a 2x4? Has anyone tried a 2x3 to see if that flexes better?
3. How long do you run the bunks? I'd like to keep about 2 feet from the front of the trailer box so that I can add a large travel bag that fits on the floor of the trailer just under the bows.
4. Any disadvantages of using bunks?

Thanks for your input

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
I posted this last summer that kind of explains what I did to modify my kayak trailer.

mike126

Reaction score
Mad Duck - that is pretty much what I want to do. Are you storing the trailer out of the sun? How is the pvc holding up? I was thinking to help prevent UV breakdown of the pvc I might cover it with carpet.

Lastly, did you play around with the cross bar spread to get the boats to sit right on the pipe?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk