Rio Creek fly line

jayr

Reaction score
Just noticed that Rio has a new offering, at least I'm pretty sure its new.

Rio Creek, anyone using it?

Thoughts?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't have one but it was developed, I believe, for use with Sage's DART for close in loading for accurate short casts. A small stream specialty line.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I fished a Gold on my 7 1/2'/#4 DART this past season...but I like to try new lines.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I look forward to your report on this rod and line. Right now Spring and Hendricksons feels far off and my early season trout fishing is usually with a 9'/#5...sometimes a #6.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
I look forward to your report on this rod and line. Right now Spring and Hendricksons feels far off and my early season trout fishing is usually with a 9'/#5...sometimes a #6.
I’m going out this Sunday with my 9’ 6 weight Scott G Series. Loaded with Rio Intouch Gold #6. Double nymph rigs all morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenman

Reaction score
+1 on the Barrio Small Stream. Have that line on a 2 and 3wt, is a favorite. All of my rods are in the moderate/moderate fast range, cast and fishes well.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
The RIO Creek Line, is a "newer" line, been out just over a year or so, it is a short headed, 1/2 size + heavy, specialty line (as S&S stated) developed in conjunction with the release of the Sage Dart. For "faster" small creek rods it works well (IE: Dart) it does help load at short distance, Peter Knox, one of the design team members of the Dart, recommends it's use in closer and then a DT for longer reach with the Dart.

Personally, having cast my 376 Dart with both Creek #3 and SA Trout (old shorter head) #4 for experiment, I can attest to Creek being nearer a full weight heavy (although Taper is posted actual weight has not, to my knowledge, been published in full- only head weight that I have seen- which eludes to 1/2 heavy). As such, I would contend that unless you are using a faster rod, Dart, maybe 763 Radian, or similar, I would not consider Creek a well matched line for a traditional smaller weight stream rod, that might be better served with a true to weight WF or DT.

I like Creek on the Dart 0-3wts, the 4wt Dart has been shown to be a more conventional 7'6" 4wt, a real line slinger, and is more uniform to standard design and not as small stream specialized as the smaller models, as such, it can be treated with a wider variance of line selection than the smaller models can, and #4 Dart likely doesn't need or wouldn't really prefer Creek as a line choice. With that, as always, line in and of itself is not good or bad, it is either a good match to a particular rod or it is not, your rod of choice should determine whether Creek is an appropriate consideration or not.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've still not tried a Creek and, it being a short head line, likely I won't. It is true, Peter Knox, Sage's lead design team member for DART, loves it in #3 but I have the #4 which he suggested and I agree, normal Gold with its long head-long rear taper in #4 is just right for.

isaiah20

Reaction score
Here’s an email from Rio.

Hi Isaiah,

I have listed the grain weights for the 30’ heads on the Creek line below. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

0 weight: 66 grains

1 weight: 80 grains

2 weight: 100 grains

3 weight: 120 grains

4 weight: 140 grains

el jefe

Reaction score
Here’s an email from Rio.

Hi Isaiah,

I have listed the grain weights for the 30’ heads on the Creek line below. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

0 weight: 66 grains

1 weight: 80 grains

2 weight: 100 grains

3 weight: 120 grains

4 weight: 140 grains

Those are a full line size heavy, according to AFTTMA standards, for whatever those are worth. I do think it is relevant here, though, because in a creek environment you won't often have 30' of line out. Sounds like overlining to load rods at short distances.

ixoye

Reaction score
Have someone use this line with dry fly, if so, how is the presentation abilities?

Last edited:

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
I just had Rio Creek loaded in 3wt for my short 2wt rods, TFO Sig, Thomas and Thomas LPS and Winston LT. Because I liked how well each rod cast it I plan to use it as "baseline" this summer as I work freestone streams in this area with all three rods. Trying to decide which I like best for a given situation. Again I love how outcasts at short distances in tight spaces.

ixoye

Reaction score
I have now tried this line with dryflies, but it was not in my taste, it turned over too hard

Last edited:

smoke33

Reaction score
I actually just bought this line for my 4 wt. The fly shop owner told me it’s a great line to use for the Driftless. After fishing it I am hooked and will be going back.

isaiah20

Reaction score
I have this line and a Redington Zero need a decent rod. Any ideas?

jayr

Reaction score
I have this line and a Redington Zero need a decent rod. Any ideas?

In order to suggest a rod, a few details would help.

Size of stream?
What weight line do you have?
Size/types of fish?
Length of rod preferred/desired?
Budget?
Etc.

Last edited: