rio technical euro line

LandoLando

Reaction score
No experience with the line in question.

I’ve long thought that euro specific fly line is a valueless proposition. My fly line so infrequently comes off the reel during presentations, that I can’t imagine even spending ten bucks on a euro fly line. I currently use the running line of a 3wt dry fly line I had lying around and have used that for a few years now. I probably won’t replace it until the casing starts cracking off.

jwbowen

Reaction score

I’ve long thought that euro specific fly line is a valueless proposition. My fly line so infrequently comes off the reel during presentations, that I can’t imagine even spending ten bucks on a euro fly line. I currently use the running line of a 3wt dry fly line I had lying around and have used that for a few years now. I probably won’t replace it until the casing starts cracking off.
Partly the reasons I asked about it. I noticed the price was very high and thought perhaps it was something magical.

mike126

Reaction score
I use the Solardini braid EN line. It’s $45. I use a 20’ leader there are occasions when I’m casting beyond my leader. I like that it does not sag in the guides or pull the leader. It is a little different when playing a fish on essentially running line by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrick62

Reaction score
Do you just fish a mono rig or do you use a nymph line?
Most of the time, neither. I start with a nine foot 4X nylon leader and add fluoro, winding up with anywhere from 12 to 18 feet of total leader, and the regular WF4 just barely out of the guides. Just seems to work better for me.

blueeyedson

Reaction score
I have a euro line on my reel, but it's been so long that I can't recall which one it is. I think it's a cortland one. Since getting back into euro techniques I've just been using mono and like it's performance. I do recall liking the feel of a fly line in hand when manipulating line or playing a fish. But it may just be that's what I was used to.

jwbowen

Reaction score
I have tried the mono line only. I sometimes make a long line cast across a creek
and a let the fly swing. A euro line helps me to get the nymph where I want it. I
also fish a particular long narrow pool on a mountain stream that requires a little
stealth. I can cast into it from down stream with the fly line method. I do believe
the mono only method to be just as effective in most situations. The fly line just
gives me a little room for other situations. There are probably many other ways
to get the job done:))))

fffl

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble with the RIO euro nymphing line. When I would hang up on the bottom and have to break off the line would stretch and the coating would separate from the braided core. RIO was good enough to replace it but the same thing happened with the new one. Now I EURO fish with a mono system.

GloveMan

Reaction score
Make you own. I got a tippet ring, some colored braid and mono. There are some resources on the internet that have a basic formula. You can customize it to your liking and it cost almost nothing. If you want the fly line component get some soft running line. It is cheap and one spool will make 10 Euro Rigs. Your fishing buddies will probably swap you some beer for one!

BillNye

Reaction score
I always use a monorig but tried my cousins set up today who recently switched to a airflo euro line and I hated it. Less sensitive than a mono rig and it always wants to slide back down your guides when you lift your rod or reach for your flies. Plus the nail knot is always in and out of your tiptop which is also annoying.

Lamarsh

Reaction score

I agree, full sized euro lines are arguably somewhat useless. The only reason I have a euro "shorty" line beneath my leader is for when I want to really cast my rig out far to swing my rig, and to easily remove it to reveal my WF floating line to cast dries and make the entire setup more versatile.