Rivers Full of Carp

ramjet

Reaction score
Man, I hope I don't get in trouble for this...

Whatever you do, be sure not to search youtube for "Peoria Carp Hunters" or "skarping"

Acheron

Reaction score
ramjet, :D :D That's funny. Making lemonade out of lemons

How about guided aerial bowhunting?

If you charged 5k per trip and got a few famous people to do it...it would quickly become elitist :D :D :D

BTW, it is very sad what's happened to that fishery.

WWKimba

Reaction score
I've actually eaten carp and it's really pretty good. Like the guy says, it's very similar to cod. It doesn't taste fishy like catfish. I'd take carp over catfish any day.............
Carp from CLEAN water is excellent eating. Otherwise it can taste muddy.

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
Speaking of carp - the annual Carp Derby is being held in Baldwinsville, NY right now - it started yesterday on the Seneca River. My fiancee lives on the river and there backyard was site #2 for the derby. Met the 2 man team from South Carolina yesterday. Even though there was not a fly between them they were what you'd expect - really nice guys! It was there 6th year at this event. I wish tight lines to all the participants!

Kim

Reactions: Ard

PEN|OUT

Reaction score
Many years ago, I guided President Obama's Chief advisor on the Asian Carp ordeal, he stated to me that our number one tool to getting rid of them was to create a demand for eating them, nothing was more destructive to a fish population than over-fishing, right?

The only issue was a need to re-brand them, such as they did for Chilean Sea Bass, but unlike Sea Bass "toothfish", Carp had a LOT of stigma behind them and widespread knowledge so it would be much harder to do.

I sure hope these fish never get a hold in the Great Lakes.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Get Steven Rinella to do a segment or show on catching and eating them. Might not move the market, but I bet it would get them a bit of traction.

PEN|OUT

Reaction score
There is a huge market for them in some places, literally underground black market type stuff, especially in Ontario.

I am assuming this is still true, but at one time we had entire groups of Feds undercover working on fighting these "Carp crime rings" if you will for fear of them being spread by illegal transportation of these fish to places where there was demand.

The concern of the powers that be is, when they are being smuggled to places like Ontario, these fish can stay alive for many days in say the trunk of a car with no water, so if someone was to ever get scared of being caught, etc... and dump them into the Great Lakes enroute to Ontario, would obviously be very bad.

My info is old, obviously Obama has not been in office for quite some time and that would have been when I was told these things, but I would guess it all still holds true.

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
I thought people didn't eat carp... You can?
I've eaten carp back in my youth. They have a dark red streak down each side. Remove it. Still very fishy. My parents had friends that owned a farm on a lake in NY. The wife canned it. Don't know what she did during the canning process, but it tasted much more like tuna fish than carp. Never tried the other carps mentioned in this thread.

GloveMan

Reaction score
You can catch them on flies. I have done it and they do jump and fight like crazy. Try tying a "blade of grass fly" with just some green or chartreuse chenille on a hook with a foam underlayer, or just use craft foam. When they are cruising across the canal or pond / river, watch as they gulp small algae and vegetation from the surface. Cast in front of them and don't move the fly at all. Out in Arizona you can catch "canal bonefish" with this technique and if you want a laugh, go to one of the neighborhood ponds and wait from someone to cut their grass near the water to chum over the fish. I am not in favor of "flavoring a fly" but a number of people I know that will crush grass in their hands and smear the fly with the juice. I also have found for some reason that if you put a drop of cooking vanilla extract on the fly it attracts them. I have never personally tried but I have seen it work.