Riverstick Custom-machined Wading Staffs

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
Common complaints with most folding wading staffs are that they get stuck, vibrate in the current, or wear out…Not this one. Having sold over 400 of my Riverstick wading staffs worldwide, customers often comment that it has proven to be the worlds’ strongest and most practical folding wading staff on the market.
The heart of the staff is the extremely durable, heavy-guage 6061 marine-grade aluminum tubing and machined inserts. A unique practical feature of the staff is that all other components: the grip, rubber tips and bungee cord are easily found in most hardware stores, This allows the staff to be totally self-maintainable, and virtually able to withstand a lifetime of use. The hammer loop holster has proven to be the perfect holster, allowing the staff to be easily deployed, or replaced, with one hand.
The staff comes with a nylon wrist strap and stainless ring just below the grip for clipping onto a retractor to let it hang extended. At 1 lb 10 ozs, it is solid, and built to last.

I build each staff to your preferred length, or can recommend a length to suit your height.
Rule of thumb for height/length: 5’5” - 5’7” = 51”, 5'8" - 5'10" = 52", 5'11" - 6' 2" = 53", 6'3" - 6'5"= 54-56". A good measure is to top of waders with boots on.

Price is $95 + $20 (shipping in NA) = $115 usd total.
Please pm for further information.

rs 6.jpgrs 3.JPG

Last edited:

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Common complaints with most folding wading staffs are that they get stuck, vibrate in the current, or wear out…Not this one. Having sold over 400 of my Riverstick wading staffs worldwide, customers often comment that it has proven to be the worlds’ strongest and most practical folding wading staff on the market.
The heart of the staff is the extremely durable, heavy-guage 6061 marine-grade aluminum tubing and machined inserts. A unique practical feature of the staff is that all other components: the grip, rubber tips and bungee cord are easily found in most hardware stores, This allows the staff to be totally self-maintainable, and virtually able to withstand a lifetime of use. The hammer loop holster has proven to be the perfect holster, allowing the staff to be easily deployed, or replaced, with one hand.
The staff comes with a nylon wrist strap and stainless ring just below the grip for clipping onto a retractor to let it hang extended. At 1 lb 10 ozs, it is solid, and built to last.

I build each staff to your preferred length, or can recommend a length to suit your height.
Rule of thumb for height/length: 5’5” - 5’7” = 51”, 5'8" - 5'10" = 52", 5'11" - 6' 2" = 53", 6'3" - 6'5"= 54-56". A good measure is to top of waders with boots on.

Price is $95 + $20 (shipping in NA) = $115 usd total.
Please pm for further information.

View attachment 30045View attachment 30046
My staff was just delivered. This is a really solid piece of gear. All of the descriptions here are right on. Fishing is not too palatable right now so I took it for a walk around the block. Thanks so much for getting it out so quick. Do you ordinarily attach it to your wading belt and is there a retractor or tether line that you recommend. I am sort of thinking that a short tether line would be better than a retractor just because it is heavier than my Folstaf.

I will probably be taking it with me to show it off to other anglers at coffee and such.

It’s always a good event when a top notch piece of gear arrives.

Thanks again.

Don

Reactions: Ard

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
Many thanks Don.
I find a heavy-duty retractor, with a lock button, works best to keep the staff at my hip and behind me when deployed. I clip the tether onto the staff ring, the retractor onto the hammer loop. Snowbee, Gear Keeper, T-Reign and Cabelas all make good ones. Here's a pic of the one from Cabelas.

Tight lines !!

Attachments

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to see you move a few staffs Rick!

I've known this seller for quite a few years and his product is perhaps the best compact carry staff you could ever lay your hands on.

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you move a few staffs Rick!
I've known this seller for quite a few years and his product is perhaps the best compact carry staff you could ever lay your hands on.
Many thanks, Ard! I've really enjoyed getting my staffs into the hands of fellow fishers, and hearing their feedback.....(y)

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
Looks great! One question, is is available with a carbide tip versus the rubber one?
thanks hubby...
90% of my customers (myself included) prefer the rubber tip, but I do have some machined, hardened (forge-heated/oil quenched) steel tips available, if desired.
I do charge an extra $10 for them, which is my cost to have made.

myt1

Reaction score
I feel really bad writing this, but I thought in the spirit of full disclosure I should contribute my two cents.

A couple of years ago I purchased one of the above mentioned staffs and, sadly, I have to say I was largely disappointed.

Maybe I had an early model and some of the problems I experienced have been addressed.

Yes, the staff is made of larger diameter and more heavy duty tubing. This larger diameter is harder to move through the water due to the greater surface area. It is a noticeable and significant difference compared to a more normal diameter staff. It gets tiresome.

The first time I used my staff I walked through silt and it took vice grips and WD-40 to separate the segments. This probably has to due with the larger surface are of the connectors. I've had similar experiences with other staffs since then and they can be difficult to separate as well, but it didn't require grips and lubrication.

The rubber end of the staff wears out very quickly, particularly if you use it as a walking stick when walking from one fishing location to the next. Yes, it can be replaced easily, but I'd rather not have to do that. Mine was in pretty bad shape after taking it on a backpacking trip. Most wading staffs have metal tips.

Mine definitely vibrated, as does my smaller diameter staff.

The grip is for a bicycle and is designed to be horizontal to the ground, like on a bicycle handlebar. The grip on a staff is made to be vertical to the ground. It really isn't that comfortable.

That being said the quality of construction is very good, almost too heavy duty.

Again, I feel bad writing this, particularly since Rick seems like a really nice guy. When I mentioned my concerns to him awhile back I could tell he was sincerely appreciative of my feedback.

So, I ended up buying the below mentioned staff and I've been very happy with it; although the quality of construction is half a notch lower than the Riverstick. I've used mine for a year or more and I have no complaints.

Removed Link (Ard)

Last edited by a moderator:

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
I feel really bad writing this, but I thought in the spirit of full disclosure I should contribute my two cents.

A couple of years ago I purchased one of the above mentioned staffs and, sadly, I have to say I was largely disappointed.

Maybe I had an early model and some of the problems I experienced have been addressed.

Yes, the staff is made of larger diameter and more heavy duty tubing. This larger diameter is harder to move through the water due to the greater surface area. It is a noticeable and significant difference compared to a more normal diameter staff. It gets tiresome.

The first time I used my staff I walked through silt and it took vice grips and WD-40 to separate the segments. This probably has to due with the larger surface are of the connectors. I've had similar experiences with other staffs since then and they can be difficult to separate as well, but it didn't require grips and lubrication.
The rubber end of the staff wears out very quickly, particularly if you use it as a walking stick when walking from one fishing location to the next. Yes, it can be replaced easily, but I'd rather not have to do that. Mine was in pretty bad shape after taking it on a backpacking trip. Most wading staffs have metal tips.
Mine definitely vibrated, as does my smaller diameter staff.
The grip is for a bicycle and is designed to be horizontal to the ground, like on a bicycle handlebar. The grip on a staff is made to be vertical to the ground. It really isn't that comfortable.
That being said the quality of construction is very good, almost too heavy duty.
Again, I feel bad writing this, particularly since Rick seems like a really nice guy. When I mentioned my concerns to him awhile back I could tell he was sincerely appreciative of my feedback.
So, I ended up buying the below mentioned staff and I've been very happy with it; although the quality of construction is half a notch lower than the Riverstick. I've used mine for a year or more and I have no complaints.
Custom Wading Staff (flyfishusa.com)
Again I appreciate your feedback re your concerns, and I don't doubt your honesty in stating your concerns. To be honest as well, yours is the first negative pan of my staff in well over 400 sold. In that time, I have replaced only 3 staffs...two that were damaged when users took bad spills while hiking overland, and bent sections. Although neither expected free replacement, as they felt they were at fault, I replaced them without question. Another earlier version had an insert section come loose ( a learning moment for me re: epoxy consistancy), and I promptly sent him another staff, rather than have him worry about fixing it himself. This same customer still refers to my staff as "the best on the planet".
I don't know of another staff manufacturer with an equal reliability record. I have been using my staffs for several years, and have yet to have one vibrate, or feel unstable in any current.
Again, I appreciate your honesty and am sorry my staff didn't meet your expectations.

Last edited:

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your orders. I've received another supply of materials, so have more staffs available.