Riverstick Custom-machined Wading Staffs

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated Tim! I'm glad to hear you're happy with the staff. That's the most important thing to me.... (y)

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
How would you recommend us measure the length we need ?
A good measure is to top of waders with boots on. This ensures a comfortable length, while allowing some reach while wading.
Rule of thumb for height/length: 5’5” - 5’7” = 51”, 5'8" - 5'10" = 52", 5'11" - 6' 2" = 53", 6'3" - 6'5"= 54-55".

Last edited:

jpakstis

Reaction score
I just used mine today and it’s really nice, a very solid and dependable staff. This may be the novice in me talking but I love how it “automatically” forms! It’s like the pieces are magnetized to each other. I kept “practicing” in the garage with it when I first received it. And it did a great job on the river today, not merely in the water but on the trail as well. I don’t have any comparison to make to any other staff because I haven’t tried any other, but this one is a tank and seems likely to last as long as I do!

hatidua

Reaction score
I own one of these, it's "all that". I'm undeniably a fan of durable at the expense of weight and this meets my needs. I have Simms/Folstaff/Orvis/BD/etc options, -have tried pretty much everything available.

I went longer than recommended and am happy that I did, if I'm falling, I want hang onto something 'up there', not something 'over there'. I did have a local gunsmith mill a sharp stainless tip for it as our local tailwater fisheries are extremely slippery.

This is probably the best stick a person can get (y)

Last edited:

68camaro

Reaction score
Just ordered two, one for myself and son. Rick has been great and due to upcoming trip he expedited shipping.

I currently use competitors but trying to get parts unstuck even after a short time is just too frustrating. As a matter of fact I kept it holster at times when I wanted to use it simply because the short time I needed it wasn't worth the frustration of pulling apart and reholstering.

Last edited:

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I finally feel qualified to comment on this staff after using it on several trips. Short report is it's the best staff I have ever used.

Initially when you get the staff it will feel generally heavier due to it's solid construction. However, once you fold it out and start using it it feels well balanced and swings easily with my gait while walking down the trail (I have hiked probably 15-20 miles with the staff so far). In the water you do not notice the weight but you will notice how strong it is and it does not take on water or come apart prematurely when it gets between rocks/logs etc. I had to be in a really strong current for it to start vibrating and then the vibration was very subtle. The holster is functional and easy to work with. The open design of the holster allows you to slide the handle inside leaving the staff extended with the tip of the stick against a rock in the current so you can cast without dropping your staff in to the water. This is nice because it just sits right on your hip ready to go. Overall I am pleased with the ease of ordering, the speed of the delivery and the functionality of the product. Awesome job Rick you definitely have a winning product in my view.
I was about to comment on my wading staff but you said everything I wanted to. It's awesome. In fact 4 different people took a picture of the emblem and will probably place an order in the future.

68camaro

Reaction score
Just received my two River Sticks, feels very sturdy in hand and much heavier than my Folstaf stick. On Friday I start a 5-6 day wade fishing trip so I'll really put this through its paces. River Stick came expedited shipping since I had quick trip coming up and it was very securely wrapped and protected in package.

Quick comparison between River Stick and Folstaf, both 54":
River Stick weight with holster 29.5 oz, staff only 27.8 ounces
Folstaf weight with holster 16 ounces, staff only 13 ounces

River Stick has 4 section each 13.5" long, roughly 21mm round
Folstaf has 6 sections each 9" long but bottom piece is 9.5" with tip, roughly 19mm round

River Stick tip is rubber chair leg protector
Folstaf is blunt pointed aluminum tip

River Stick holster is basic tradesman hammer style belt holster
Folstaf holster is rigid leather or some sort - do not think it is real leather

As you can see the Folstaf is much lighter and compact which makes climbing over rocks and bushwacking easy and stick tucks up against you tight and high. Stick comes tethered to holster already.

The River Stick stick being longer hangs lower and time will tell if extra length gets hung up more in brush or clanks while scrambling up and over rocks. While in hand the extra weight and beefeness of the River Stick is noticeable, but once I put it on a 2" Simms wading belt and tried it on the extra weight was barely noticeable.

As far as weight, the River Stick will clearly last a long time and take a beating. The components can be purchased at any decent hardware store so it is very nice being able to fix on the fly. To be honest, the Folstaf while much lighter never failed me on small mountain streams or bigger rivers with pretty fast currents.

Both sticks deploy very easily with just a little shake.

Now this brings me to my main reason for purchasing the River Stick....and that is ease or breaking down and reholstering. The Folstaf is just a nightmare to breakdown all six sections to reholster. Even with the supplied wax and food grade silicone, it simply is hard to get sections apart. Many times you need a hand on both sections, and the remainder held between your knees so they don't reconnect while separating others. Also, I keep a couple kitchen rubber bottle openers with me so my hands do not slip when separating two sections. Often you need to hit a section against a hard surface to break sections grip on each other. This is such a pain I sometimes do not deploy stick when I really want to because of frustration breaking down to reholster as I don't like stick clanking against rocks in rivers or small mountain streams.

As a matter of fact in garage test after the Folstaf was cleaned over weekend and waxed and siliconed it was still a bear to breakdown. It actually gets worse when you use stick and force crams sections together even more.

The River Stick on the other hand, in garage tests, breakdowns so easy to reholster, the sections come apart very quick with no fumbling or aggravation. The ability to breakdown easily is huge advantage and selling point for me. Being easy to breakdown I will use more therefore be safer in river and while scrambling over rocks and uneven terrain while hiking to holes or destination.

So far initial impressions are very positive and I can't wait to put this to good use next week and mountain streams in mid-October.