Road trip bathroom breaks during Covid restrictions

yikes

Reaction score
Though may retail sectors are re-opening, I'm still seeing a number of public restrooms closed, both at local parks, and at fast food joints, or Starbucks. This can add a logistical challenge to those long daytrips, especially when I travel with my wife, who does not want to just "go behind a bush".

The two places I've consistently found to have open restrooms throughout the past year are:
(1) truck stops (T.A., Pilot, Loves, etc.)
(2) large supermarkets - - especially supermarkets with full service delis. Most of these were designed in an era where the food service workers and customers were expected to use the same restroom, so they really can't easily close them down.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I carry a male urinal and a bucket with a trash bag liner . I have this cool u-shaped thing that goes in my hitch receiver , back up to a wall , tree or a semi . Walla , dung did it . I'm not about to use a public toilet .

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I consider myself fortunate because Alaska women will go even without the bush although a bush is desirable they are not mandatory. I myself employ an age old technique which involves limiting fluid intake while traveling. Those 75 mile snowmachine trips to reach the cabin? It's a lot simpler if I can just make the trip non stop. Still takes 3 hours but stops lengthen the trip time.

And I must say that trailer hitch thing sounds yucky man :(

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I've been having trouble due to covid toilet closure and no prostate. Bathrooms aren't needed as I can go anywhere but the gf doesn't like it at all. So I bought an instanst setup toilet tent and carry the 5 gal bucket with lid and bags.

mike126

Reaction score
Having just driven with my wife and MIL from SC to VA my wife decided to stop at hotels. I will say that they are far cleaner than any truck stop or fast food place. It helps to have an 82 year old with you as the staff doesn’t question you.

Myself, a bush is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I looked at this whole CV19 situation a different way. The whole thing pisses me off so I voted with my wallet. I figured if services were difficult then they don't need my business. I have only flown once in the past year because Texas was open to lodging, racing, fishing, and dining. I canceled a steelhead trip and several race dates in the PNW and did not fish or ski in MT. or Co.. I went were I was welcome and they got the thousands I would have spent elsewhere. I fished more locally and started a journey into 2 hand rods flyfishing my local beach. My local flyshop was happy to educate me and were rewarded by all the new gear I bought and so was the local guide who put me on my first surf fish.

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
Having just driven with my wife and MIL from SC to VA my wife decided to stop at hotels. I will say that they are far cleaner than any truck stop or fast food place. It helps to have an 82 year old with you as the staff doesn’t question you.

Myself, a bush is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I've always done. Even before covid. The restrooms are always spotless. Drive a loop around it and locate the indoor pool. Walk through the lobby and head straight towards the pool. The restroom will be right next to it.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought my wife a camper. never forget the first day she came out of the gas station and said that it was closed or filthy, I said use ours silly...she came out of the camper and said she was sorry she ever griped at buying a new camper.

I prefer the solitude of the outdoors.

I am somewhat amazed that we have not invented a better way to go. Yet.

Acheron

Reaction score
I looked at this whole CV19 situation a different way. The whole thing pisses me off so I voted with my wallet. I figured if services were difficult then they don't need my business. I have only flown once in the past year because Texas was open to lodging, racing, fishing, and dining. I canceled a steelhead trip and several race dates in the PNW and did not fish or ski in MT. or Co.. I went were I was welcome and they got the thousands I would have spent elsewhere. I fished more locally and started a journey into 2 hand rods flyfishing my local beach. My local flyshop was happy to educate me and were rewarded by all the new gear I bought and so was the local guide who put me on my first surf fish.
You don't look at it a different way. You look at it the same as the millions who have spread it, gotten sick, and/or died. You might be special but you ain't unique. ;) :D :D

To the OP...take a camp toilet or the primitive version, a bucket with trash bags. I avoid public toilets regardless of the rona.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
You don't look at it a different way. You look at it the same as the millions who have spread it, gotten sick, and/or died.
This is a delightful conversation. How you respond Depends entirely on your personal experience and perspective.
Yup. I'm a healthcare provider who risks his life everyday with many deadly diseases not just CV19. CV19 is but just another potentially deadly disease. Universal precaustions works folks and it is the faliure of simple implementation of simple concepts that transmit this disease. You don't need to shut down everything but here we are.

Acheron

Reaction score
Universal precaustions works folks and it is the faliure of simple implementation of simple concepts that transmit this disease. You don't need to shut down everything but here we are.
You are right. One problem is most people don't adhere to your first sentence, especially when told to during a pandemic, let alone under normal circumstances. Which is why your second sentence was necessary.

It's sad, and driven by the same reasons we need warnings like these...

el jefe

Reaction score
The problem with this pandemic is that people only think things halfway through. As regards road trip bathroom breaks, it's as if the Pandemic Patrol has decided that no one should go the bathroom while traveling. Nope, can't have that!! No more urinating until this thing is over--which will not be anytime soon.

Here's the problem with the Pandemic Patrol's approach, which I'll give by way of example. Last summer, our state decided you could use the picnic areas--very magnanimous of them--but the bathrooms were closed. So people drove 90 minutes from town, with food and drink. And you know what happens with food and drink. Well, no place to relieve oneself because the bathrooms were closed, so everyone relieved themselves OUTSIDE the restrooms, right near the picnic tables. There was so much urine, feces, and toilet paper surrounding the whole area. Maybe you won't catch Covid, but you had a real good chance of catching something else. And the stench carried for a few hundred yards, effectively making the picnic grounds unusable after a short period of time. Lovely...

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so do we all start wearing diapers and avoid the pee stop altogether? We have them on our face shouldn't we also have them on our bums.

actually just search for portable urinal. Several female fishing friends use them when in waders.

after all it is sterile, right?

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
The problem with this pandemic is that people only think things halfway through. As regards road trip bathroom breaks, it's as if the Pandemic Patrol has decided that no one should go the bathroom while traveling. Nope, can't have that!! No more urinating until this thing is over--which will not be anytime soon.

Here's the problem with the Pandemic Patrol's approach, which I'll give by way of example. Last summer, our state decided you could use the picnic areas--very magnanimous of them--but the bathrooms were closed. So people drove 90 minutes from town, with food and drink. And you know what happens with food and drink. Well, no place to relieve oneself because the bathrooms were closed, so everyone relieved themselves OUTSIDE the restrooms, right near the picnic tables. There was so much urine, feces, and toilet paper surrounding the whole area. Maybe you won't catch Covid, but you had a real good chance of catching something else. And the stench carried for a few hundred yards, effectively making the picnic grounds unusable after a short period of time. Lovely...
We had a very similar situation here in CO for the first few months. People camping in trailhead parking lots because the campgrounds and bathrooms were closed. Decades of driving past these trail heads and state wildlife parking areas and I had never seen them so crowded. The lot at Williams reservoir was packed every weekend with people camped and partying right next to each other. 30 feet away were closed bathrooms and campsites. Seemed really dumb to me as campgrounds by design encourage social distancing.

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
We had an very similar situation here in CO for the first few months. People camping in trailhead parking lots because the campgrounds and bathrooms were closed. Decades of driving past these trail heads and state wildlife parking areas and I had never seen them so crowded. The lot at Williams reservoir was packed every weekend with people camped and partying right next to each other. 30 feet away were closed bathrooms and campsites. Seemed really dumb to me as campgrounds by design encourage social distancing.
Exactly. There is lack of consistency and common sense that leaves people confused, and creates other bad situations. Like the NMF&G guy I ran into while paying my parking fee to fish the Mora last July. I don't who here has been to the Mora, but after 2 minutes of walking you are past the campground past all the people. (Of course, the campground was closed to camping, but you could park there and set up during the daylight hours. Whatever.) And still the F&G guy told me to make sure I wear my mask while I'm fishing up there.:rolleyes: