Roaring Fork Trip Report

zjory

Reaction score
Spent a few days out of Carbondale to fish the Fork, the Pan and the Colorado.
Spent Thursday on the Fork. Weather was amazing as it was all weekend but the fishing was slow. We fished Catherine’s bridge area and the flows seemed good but we had trouble getting to fish. Finally figured out they were in faster than expected seams hanging in the very bottom. Several split shot and tungsten nymphs were key. We picked up a few on Higa’s and WD-40s.

Hit the Pan early Friday morning. Another beautiful sunny day that gave all three of us sunburns. Amazing weather for early March in the Rockies. We fished the stretch below the damn from the aquarium to Baetis Bridge. I have never been on this stretch of river in good weather with so few people. The fishing was on fire. There were four of us fishing and we must have netted a hundred fish. Size 18 and 20 shrimp and rainbow warriors were the ticket in the morning. Around noon they started looking up and we finally dialed that in using size 20 Eric’s Midges.

Another stunner of a day for a float on the Colorado on Saturday. We floated with Brandon out of Taylor Creek (who is the best guide I’ve ever fished with). I started the morning fishing streamers and hooked up on a couple nice browns right away. Both fish took a tan bunny leech tied in front of a sex dungeon. My friend was nymphing out of the front and had a slow start and was thinking about switching to a streamer rod - then it turned on. He caught his first fish to his fifth fish in about ten minutes. He quickly had me switch to a nymph rod which produced for the rest of the day. Prince nymphs and midgezillas caught most of the fish. We landed a dozen fish above 18 inches and several over 20.

Fantastic way to spend a few days. Currently considering what I need to get the wife to earn another long weekend on the river.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Fantastic just doesn't seem to do it justice. It seems to me a day like that deserves a whole new word. Those are wonderful looking fish Zac, and your friends seem to be having as much of a good time as you were.

Great report buddy, and that's a sporting looking hat you're wearing. I'm glad you were able to get out and play on the water.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Living large there, nice!

The eight treads to the north steps at the cabin are under that. I'm expecting higher than normal runoff this June..............

zjory

Reaction score
Fantastic just doesn't seem to do it justice. It seems to me a day like that deserves a whole new word. Those are wonderful looking fish Zac, and your friends seem to be having as much of a good time as you were.

Great report buddy, and that's a sporting looking hat you're wearing. I'm glad you were able to get out and play on the water.
Special days for sure. We’ll have to get out in the near future now that the weather is turning.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah but... The Kings come in May & June followed closely by the Silvers. This'll make things tough. And those pictures aren't from the mountains the cabin sits roughly 168 ft above sea level.

jjaram

Reaction score
Does the Colorado have some good wadeable water down where you were fishing? I know it’s big water. Just wandering if there is good public access and a guy could do some decent work from the shore. Thanks!

Last edited:

zjory

Reaction score
Does the Colorado have some good wadeable water down where you were fishing? I know it’s big water. Just wandering if there is good public access and a guy could do some decent work from the shore. Thanks!
Yes. There is some public access down there on banks with fishable wade water. We saw a few waders hooked up on fish during the float.

dubbn

Reaction score
I wade that area all the time. Good access on the Colorado. The best way to find the access points is to look for vehicles pulled off of I-70 with rod vaults attached.

The weather has been outstanding here lately, and the midge hatches have been off the charts. I do not fish dry's but a lot of fish are feeding on the surface.

On the Roaring Fork, there is a lot of midges hatching, but the fish have been keying on size 22 to 20 Baetis Nymphs.