Rod and reel for starting out

cnaples

Reaction score
My son and I have decided to start fly fishing. I've be long range fishing out of San Diego for 20 years and wanted to try something different. Plus we love camping in the Sierras. We have a trip booked to Hot Creek Ranch Mammoth in May and Gardiner Montana in July next year. Can anyone direct us to good inexpensive brands for rods and reels? Dry fly mostly so probably 4 or 5wt. Any advice would be great!

Thanks so much!
Chad

M

mridenour

My son and I have decided to start fly fishing. I've be long range fishing out of San Diego for 20 years and wanted to try something different. Plus we love camping in the Sierras. We have a trip booked to Hot Creek Ranch Mammoth in May and Gardiner Montana in July next year. Can anyone direct us to good inexpensive brands for rods and reels? Dry fly mostly so probably 4 or 5wt. Any advice would be great!

Thanks so much!
Chad
Welcome to the forum.

What is your definition of inexpensive? Your suggestions will be all over the place if you don't give some kind of ceiling to what you are willing to invest.

M

mridenour

There are lots of choices but one reel you could start out with is this one at $99.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/ats-reel-series/

TFO makes several rod in your price range. They are not made in the USA but are quality rods with good actions and an awesome warranty. I use one all the time.

Like I said there are a gozillion choices out there but I believe you would enjoy this one. Others will have great advice as well.

jimp

Reaction score
surf the net for beginner fly rod outfits, can look at bps and cabelas for starters, and go from there. Not recommending any from there, but there are several combos offered by both, and then you can search for comments about the ones that interest you here as some members have 'em or have used 'em. I've went thru this exercise earlier this year, and that's what I did. I got a Reddington Clearwater combo setup, a Echo Solo (?) beginner setup and made one up on my own just due to the price of the rod (TFO for about $70 and a Orvis reel for $80 + line and backing). I like all three, the TFO the least at first but its coming around, and gets out of the doghouse on a regular basis now. All are 8'6" 5 wts, each have their own quirks and strong points. GL

oarfish

Reaction score
Call Cabelas and talk to them about what your needs are, they have great kits with good equipment that will get you started and won't break the bank, remember your just getting started.

Rick

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there is an Orvis dealer close stop and see what they can do for you. They may also have casting clinics and that would be a huge help before going on a trip.

Ard

double d

Reaction score
I would also like to add that you might want to take a 4 hour class on fly fishing, otherwise, good advice on rod and reels for starting out in fly fishing.

s fontinalis

Reaction score
you'd be hard pushed to find a better rod than the redington CT at $75 for starting out.

Get them while you can. Cabelas have them.
As for reel, Orvis are pretty good.
Eunan.

barham

Reaction score
I would check out the Redington Crosswater sets made up of rod, reel and line for less than $150.00. I have many of the above but the CW rod and reel is still not bad. After these, without too much of an investment, you can decide if you want to invest more and still have a workable backup set.
barham

Joni

Reaction score
I ahve taken newbies out on the river and mind you, my opinion, but many of the people that have never fished did indeed feel a difference. To me, the Redington Crosswater and the TFO Professional are very (for lack of a better word) clubby feeling and yes, I do own both.
I agree with Mojo, the Compass rod is a nice smooth medium action (much like the Professional) but light to the hand and a nice snappiness when roll casting.
If I had it all to do over, I would have a lot more money for fly line, because I would buy that Compass and the ATS reel.

I will also add, the action of this rod did help the newbies FEEL the load up. Also slowed them down for smoother casts.

Just my opinion. ;-)

L

Liphookedau

Hi Chad .
The only thing I'd like to add as the other guys have covered it quite well is to look on Ebay where you might pick up some Reels & Rods even though things are now getting more expensive since all The business people have flooded it.
Brian.