rod blank question

ratherfish

Reaction score
I was at a garage-sale years ago with the wife and over in the corner was a bundle of rod blanks; it was an older lady and said her husband worked for and sold fishing rods and some other equipment, but mostly rods. It was a Saturday afternoon and she said, no one has hardly even looked at them. She had them priced as each, I looked them over and looked at her and her face had that please buy one look. So know what I did, bought them all ;). No clue how much I paid for them now, it's been years ago, didn't even try to negotiate the price, just bought them; so, I may have paid way too much for them but I can't remember how much, so all is well.

I said all that rambling to ask this - how do I tell what brand they are, what they are made of, what kind of rod they are (casting, spin, fly, other) - I know nothing about them....

ratherfish

Reaction score
I just went and snapped some pictures...pretty old though. They are not as long as I remembered, musta had a short car back then LOL. Let me upload the pics

trev

Reaction score
Take your clue from the one marked 6 1/2 ft worm rod, looks like maybe five of those and that suggests to me that they are all casting blanks. however a blank can be built out with different hardware to be different things. Quite a few old spinning rigs were built on fly rod blanks and vice versa. Tape a few guides on and try them with different gear. You might try this method to determine flex and power of each; https://common-cents.info/

ratherfish

Reaction score
Take your clue from the one marked 6 1/2 ft worm rod, looks like maybe five of those and that suggests to me that they are all casting blanks. however a blank can be built out with different hardware to be different things. Quite a few old spinning rigs were built on fly rod blanks and vice versa. Tape a few guides on and try them with different gear. You might try this method to determine flex and power of each; https://common-cents.info/
duhhhh - I thought that said WcRm - I can see now how it'd say worm.

silver creek

Reaction score
Those are one piece rods which at 90 inches are 7.5" rods, either spinning or casting rod blanks.

I personally would not build on them but if you can swing the blank and figure out one that might have the action you want, that would be the first one to build. With the Chinese turning out cheap rods, the materials to build the rod out may cost you more than buying a prebuilt rod.