Rod holder for a bike ?

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Though I believe they might have them try this.

Get a straight section some very thin wall PVC tubing like is used for sink drains, just a 12-18" length at your local hardware.

Cut a slot just a little larger than your reel foot width 2/3-3/4 of the way down.

On the side opposite your chain (and you might find some creative clamps at the hardware) firm clamp and fix solid the lower uncut section of the tube to the frame that runs from the rear axle to the pedals with it angled back perhaps 30 degrees.

Slip two very heavy duty rubber bands around the tube higher up.

Finally have a U shaped spring steel clamp (like you would snap a broom or shovel handle into) fixed to the tube of frame running from the axle to the seat post. Naturally snapping the tube into it.

To put your rod inside, pull out on the rubber bands enough to slip the reel past and slide it to the bottom till the reel foot stops at the bottom of the slot. Slip the lower rubber band down to the upper edge of the reel foot so it doesn't bounce, yet leave the other one high just to insure the rod doesn't rock out of the slot.

Option 2:

If carrying your 4 piece rod in the case, find clamping at the hardware (perhaps even larger spring clamps) and attach them to your handle bars on either side so the rod tube can be snapped down into them.

B.E.F.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Thank you. I was just thinking maybe a bsckpack with a rod holder will be more versatile. I've seen the Patagonia atom pack. Would it be possible to add two loops for a rod holder ?

siege

Reaction score
Adding straps or loops is easy. Any good shoe repair shop is equiped to handle nylon straps, and add Fastex buckles to them. It would be very inexpensive to do. A canvas or awning shop would work too. But.....
You can put the bottom end of a rod tube for 4 PC rods in a frame mounted water bottle holder. A small bungee cord near the top will hold it tight to the frame.
If you don't want to give up your Nalgene, then bungee a rod tube across the handle bars.
I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to consider a 6 or 8 piece rod. I recently got a very reasonably priced 8' 5 weight of 8 piece construction. 12" long in it's pouch, and so easy to pack along almost anywhere.
Enjoy your cycling and fishing :)

Last edited:

802flyfish

Reaction score
I really like the atom stealth pack by Patagonia. I just wish it had the built on rod holder. I emailed patagonia and they are going to send me two rod holder straps that you find on the storm front sling pack. Only thing I haven't figured out is how two attach the loops to the backpack..moving to Silverthorne, Colorado. Blue river is a short bike ride from my residence.

yikes

Reaction score
One of our local rivers is best accessed by bicycle. My bike has a small rack on the back. I attach my rod tube vertically to the bike rack frame with a couple of velcro straps. When I want to bike to the next hole, my 4 pc rod pulls apart in the middle, and I stick the two halves into the open tube holder and pedal on.
There's another forum where a guy made a rod and reel holder out of a tape measure holder.
$6 DIY bicycle flyrod holder
In any case, it is best to think carefully about where you fish, and how you will bike to determine the best placement of the rod. One wrong lay-down, or back-up, or errant leg, or low-hanging branch, and snap! it goes.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Am I missing something?

You ask for rod holders attached to your bike and are told how. Then suddenly you want a backpack without rod holders but wonder how you can attach straps and are told how, plus more suggestions for attaching a rod tube to your bike. Then you ask again how to attach straps, and are given even more suggestions on how to carry a rod on a bike.....Yet in the end it is as though no one has suggested anything.

What are you really wanting to ask or tell us?

B.E.F.

nctribute

Reaction score
Lots of options, many suggested above. You can get holders to mount to the handlebars that are basically a U with one leg shorter than the other, look at atv accessories, they are usually sold for carrying guns, but work well for bows and rod tubes. I have used them on a mountain bike to carry a bow for many miles. Nice thing about having it at the handlebars is you can see it at all times and do not have to worry about it potentially falling off and you not noticing it. Patagonia has a sling pack similar to the Atom that has rod loops on it, the Vest Front Sling, another option.

802flyfish

Reaction score
My computers seems not to be loading everyone posts. Thanks for the suggestions. I've found some molded clips that could mount directly on the frame and I can snap the rod tube in. Going to need some mini bungies to secure it.

yikes

Reaction score
My computers seems not to be loading everyone posts. Thanks for the suggestions. I've found some molded clips that could mount directly on the frame and I can snap the rod tube in. Going to need some mini bungies to secure it.
Please post a picture when you are done.

grtlksmarlin, it looks like the original posted question morphed into a new implied question: how do I get myself and my gear to my fishing spot via bicycle?

JoJer

Reaction score
Here's a couple of ways to attach straps to a pack: On nylon packs, melt holes the width of the straps through the pack and run the straps through. Melt holes with a hot nail and pop rivet the straps in place. Use lots of backing at the attachment points so they don't pull through. Melting works better than cutting because the pack won't tear or unravel. You might want to prototype on a cheap used pack available at Goodwill etc.
You can pop rivet a PVC tube directly to the pack if you rivet inside the tube near the ends, then cap the tube. You can buy very long hemostat type clamps at Harbor Freight that will allow you to put a backing plate (washer) way up inside the tube. You really need backers when you rivet PVC. I also try to cover the rivets inside the tube with Shoe Goo or RTV Blue so metal doesn't touch the rod.

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been riding this Fuji Sundance for 32 years and until 1992 struggled with how to carry rods. My original Cannon dale Panniers and Caboose in combination with the handlebar bag carry all the fishing gear you would possibly need but in 1992 I found the 'rod rack'.

The rack is made from aluminum and carries 2 tubes securely.

It's your lucky day because the 'Maker' has returned to producing them, here's his site; River Trails

I love mine and it has been used all over America & Canada :cool: