Rod Holster with Paddle Board / SUP

Choptanked

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone uses a rod holster, like the Fishpond Quickshot, with a paddle board. This would be an alternative to a deck mounted rod holder or just laying your rod down on the deck, which seem like the two most popular options. The only drawback I can see is the holster somehow inhibiting your paddling. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Most folks that I know that fish from a paddleboard, have a cooler with rod holders attached. I would tend to agree that a holster might interfere with paddling.

J

joe_strummer

I've been using the Quickshot 2.0 over the past year on a poling platform rather than a SUP, though I'm going to say there's probably a lot of similarity between the two uses. I pole along and when I spot a fish, I put the pole in the Tibor caddy and unholster the rod. I catch carp this way regularly, and it worked well for reds too.

The exchange is tricky, good chance to spook a fish. I wear the Quickshot on the left, and have my pole caddy mounted on the left. It would have been better to have put the caddy on the right. With a rod holstered, I want to push from the right side, and it would be a smoother exchange. With one 9' stick attached to you while working with a 21' stick there are some awkward maneuvers and some things to avoid, and conditions that make for easier boat handling work best. But the Quickshot works well enough imo. I usually attach it to a Fishpond Red Tail wading belt.