Rod mod replaced reel seat on my HMG

tcorfey

Reaction score
While I have some time I decided to replace the reel seat on my HMG rod, It is an 8' 6wt built by I don't know who from a blank.

The reel seat of choice was made of chromed light steel I think (down lock style and kind of large in diameter.

The HMG rod is dark grey blank with red wrappings.

I decided a black carbon fiber insert with black up-locking hardware would give the rod a facelift and a stealthy look.
The diameter of the new reel seat is much smaller than the old one.

Ran in to one snag during replacement and that was the old reel seat was about .25" longer than the new one.

The rod blank goes through the handle back to the end cap so rather than cutting the end off the blank I added a spacer in front of the reel seat and it came out ok.

Here is the before:
IMG_0301.jpg

Here is the after:
IMG_0328.jpg

With LL Bean Marquis style reel
IMG_0330.jpg

Took about 35-40 minutes to pull everything apart and put everything back together.

Regards,

Tim C.

flav

Reaction score
Looks much nicer. I'm a fan of uplocking seats with exposed hoods, I like the way they look and it sure makes the whole process easier. I've installed new seats, and some handles, on several old rods, it's a whole lot of fun and not too hard. Hope you enjoy your "new" rod.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a positive change Tim, wow what a nice reel :) made for Bean by Hardy they were some of the better Marquis models they put out.