Rod selection process- match line to rod or vice versa?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
trev, I might suggest "method or technique" as opposed to fly first. Presenting a dry fly vs. a wet (of the same size) or large wind resistant vs. small and compact streamer has rod selection divergence as well as line choice differences. But I'm putting perhaps too fine a point on the pencil.

original cormorant

Reaction score
I think there is confusion here between choosing a rod in the tackle shop and choosing a rod and line on the bank, flat or boat.
On the water you will choose whatever is the best option rod and line combination available to deliver the fly in the conditions you face.
In the tackle shop you will be selecting a rod and line(s) to deliver different flies in a variety of different conditions. This may mean one rod and line to cope with all probable flies in all probable conditions or it may mean a repetoire of different rods and lines to have the ideal set up for every conceivable set of conditions.
On the water and in the shop are different questions.

boisker

Reaction score
To me...with the price of lines today...it seems like, above all else....the profit motive..........and the willingness of younger anglers, without the experience, to be sucked into the marketing maze of specific gear that are not necessarily the most meaningful in successful angling.
I’m not so sure about ‘younger’.... I think they are more likely to research and be informed... middle aged have a higher disposable income.... and certainly going by the number of posts both on the US and UK forums by people not really understanding the differing details of different lines/rods, it would tend to indicate (taking into account the average age on the forums) that it ain’t those youngsters driving the sales :)

trev

Reaction score
I like "all probable flies" as a substitute for "fly", to me that is implied in the discussion of what comes first. The choice of "fly" doesn't have to a specific pattern, none of my flies are actually, but you won't chose a streamer optimized line and rod to fish midge size dries or vice versa; so choice of fly (type & sizes probable/possible) follows choice of species and precedes as well as governs choices of line and rod.