Rod Vault / River Quiver: your experiences

Bonesonthebrain

Reaction score
I'm Gumby dammit!

I bought the Riversmith 4 banger when I started guiding wade trips this year, here are my thoughts and observations:

I like the convenience of having four rods rigged and ready to go when I arrive at the river with clients. Whether I'm taking out two or three clients, all four rods go to the water with us, rods are sometimes broken and when I need to change things up the clients can continue to fish while I re-rig the spare rod(s).

Security: One of the reasons I chose the Riversmith was the enhanced security of the box. Given time, tools and the inclination, any passive security measures can be defeated. The Riversmith box uses a better lock system than the competition and the fitment of the door provides very little gap to get a prying tool inserted; I cannot get a fingernail into it. It's a lot easier to smash a window and gain access to the interior of my vehicle than it would be to get into the box.

Damage to rods, reels, lines: I've read a lot of concerns about the possibility of heat damage but I've never talked to anyone who uses a rod vault complain about it. Today I ran a completely unscientific experiment wherein I parked my vehicle in full sun and placed thermometers in one of the rod tubes and on the drivers armrest inside the vehicle. After about 2 1/2 hours I checked the temps for comparison sake. The outside ambient air temp was 78*, the temp in the rod tube was 99* and the vehicle interior was 108*. I attribute the lower temp inside the rod tube relative to the vehicle interior to the ready air circulation around the tubes. I often leave spare gear in the vehicle interior while I'm out and I can't say I've ever had any of it damaged by the heat inside the car which I believe will always be higher than the temp in one of the tubes.

The rods do rattle around a bit in the tubes and if I cared to I could fashion something to fit on the tips to dampen that, as it is, I'm not concerned about it. Riversmith sent me a set of their reel pads with my purchase and I also put the neoprene reel pouches back over the reels before storing the rods in their tubes, things fit snugly and are indeed well padded.

Mounting: These types of boxes are not particularly heavy but if your mounting system does not allow wide spacing of the risers you will have a long lever overhanging the forward cross-bar. My factory (Toyota) cross-bars were completely inadequate due to a lack of rigidity and I purchased the Thule Wing bar and EVO raised risers which have so far been rock solid.

Hope all of the helps.

Rick
So you have what, $700 wrapped up in a rod carrier and mounting? At some point the cost out weighs the benefit.

Just seems like what others have said about a 2 pc rod case provides so much more flexibility and is cost effective.
05EE0B94-9EFB-4289-80D7-03030429EC9D.png

Last edited:

bigal36

Reaction score
Got one last year....love it. The ability to have 3-4 rods semi or fully rigged has been a real treat. Although the points are valid, I'm not worried about getting ripped off.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I enjoy the ritual of stringing up at the river and breaking down at the end of the day.
Same here. When I fish I usually move once or twice. I am able to fit an assembled 9' rod through the hatchback of my BMW with the back seat down without it hitting something. This car has very low ground clearance so I don't take it too far off the beaten path.

jayr

Reaction score
As for being able to carry fully rigged rods, I have built a rod holder in my car which can accommodate up to my 10' Euro rod. It could probably go up to a 10' 6" rod, but I don't have one. Not all cars can do this of course. My car is an Acura MDX so it has a full length area to store them. The rod tips do not touch the windshield or the dash.

All it took was some PVC pipe, a long velcro strip and some bungee cords. The rods are supported at the reel on a cooler with a boat cushion and locked down with the bungee cords. The PVC rack I built is secured to the back of the second seat with the velcro so that it can be removed with no modifications to the car. I place pipe insulation over the PVC to cushion the rods. They ride in the middle of the vehicle between the driver and the passenger. I probably have $10 to $15 in it plus about 20 minutes of time.

I will try to post pics later.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I got a Riversmith two banger as a surprise gift from my brother in law at the end of last season as he just started fly fishing and i took him under my wing so to speak....and of course now he is an addict. I have a Forester - bought cross bars and installed it a few months ago. I usually drive highway miles at 70 mph to the Upper Delaware ....130 miles each way.....and find it convenient. I used to simply keep two fully rigged 9 feet rods on my passenger side and that worked fine as well....unless I have a passenger. Downside.....I can't go into a car wash with it...and as i'm the lazy type - i now have to manually wash my car which I do not like (LOL). My rods have been fine but I have noticed you have to really insert them in gently and keep them centered while doing so or you'll feel a hang up on your guides once in a while. Overall I really like it. Would I have spent $400 plus tax on my own for it ? Probably not - but it is more convenient for me.

Interesting... Thanks for sharing your experiences! I’m gonna look-into the Riversmith.

Have you noticed any abrasion / wear on the rods or reels? Does the Riversmith have any foam or lining inside to protect the rod / reel from wear?

mike126

Reaction score
I’ve thought about one but I can’t justify the price. On the other hand last week I was on a guided trip in western Md (Savage River). The guide used a roof top magnetic carrier like this

It was super convenient for moving from site to site. No highway driving.

I have an older roof top ski rack that I’ll use when transporting surf rods. I will use it when I go to rivers that have easy access that allow you to move around by car. I wouldn’t leave an extra rod on it.

For transporting rods to the streams I have a Simms 2 piece rod case that holds 2 rods and reels. I’ll rig leaders and run lines the night before so all I have to do is put the 2 sections together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter1023

Reaction score
Interesting... Thanks for sharing your experiences! I’m gonna look-into the Riversmith.

Have you noticed any abrasion / wear on the rods or reels? Does the Riversmith have any foam or lining inside to protect the rod / reel from wear?
sorry for the delayed response just saw your question. there is no protective foam in my riversmith - but I also have not noticed any wear or tear to my rods or reels.....they are just fine.

Nonno

Reaction score
I use a "vac-rac" when moving between locations on the river. I've used it while fishing the Yakima a few times which follows I90 for a bit. I90 is the most convenient route between "spots", so it has managed speeds of 60-65 mph with 2 rods. I use here in Idaho when it's my turn to drive (it won't stay on my buddies Raptor). Capacity is 4 rods.
20210703_083454.jpg20210703_083508.jpg

WSTP3

Reaction score
I purchased the 4Banger for my 4Runner. The fit and quality is great. No issues with rod storage or damage. There are security issues in anything you transport in or on a vehicle. While I'm sure someone could break the lock if they tried hard enough that same person could grab any rock and smash my window giving the same access to anything inside. I do not store my rods inside unless I am going fishing so the I am not really concerned about security. If the rods are in there I am using them when I get to my destination. I have been on several weekender trips and no fly fishing ninja bandit has attempted to pry open the holder. Most non fly fishing people seem to have no idea what the holder is. The time and convenience saved in rigging for me is worth it. Over the years I have snapped more tips in my vehicle with loading/packing, this has made my life easier and worth the cost to me, to each their own.

mike126

Reaction score
I use a "vac-rac" when moving between locations on the river. I've used it while fishing the Yakima a few times which follows I90 for a bit. I90 is the most convenient route between "spots", so it has managed speeds of 60-65 mph with 2 rods. I use here in Idaho when it's my turn to drive (it won't stay on my buddies Raptor). Capacity is 4 rods.
View attachment 37605View attachment 37606
I’ve always been concerned with these scratching the paint on the hood and roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acheron

Reaction score

Reaction score
(Re above pictures) In my GMC pickup I made a block of foam to set the rods in with the tip going through the topper and pickup window. I cut “v”s in the foam inserted between cab and topper. Works good. If I want the rods up out of the way they go in the rack secured to the inside top of the topper. In my Jeep Wrangler I built the drawers and rod holder to fit inside the back. Works good.

COTater

Reaction score
I see these things on every vehicle out there now-a-days. I never wanted one because of the cost and advertisement to the bad guys out there.

I suppose it can be handy but when I hit the river, I rig my rod out of the tube it came in, don't take that long. Then when I need to move I have a set of the older Orvis magnetic rod holders on my hood and roof - easy on & off.

myt1

Reaction score
I ain't pretty, but it totally works for me.
I thread the tip through the sliding glass door of my shell and truck cab. I rigged up another cord that suspends the tip end.
The cord toggle was the key part. The rod would fall out of the loop if something didn't hold it in place.

P7081460.JPG

jmcd22

Reaction score

I have been thinking of building something like what you have on your pickup...it looks like what you have fits the bill so I may poach it! Did you put anything inside your pickup to protect the rod tip?

My wife has a Wrangler as well but her backseats fold down a little differently than yours do so we can just lay the rods down but we wanted something more secure. Love your build on both!

Reaction score
I have been thinking of building something like what you have on your pickup...it looks like what you have fits the bill so I may poach it! Did you put anything inside your pickup to protect the rod tip?

My wife has a Wrangler as well but her backseats fold down a little differently than yours do so we can just lay the rods down but we wanted something more secure. Love your build on both!
The rod tips are inside the cab of the pickup on both setups, the foam block where they sit at an angle and rest on a piece of foam with “V” cuts inserted between the cab and the topper and the holders that are closer to the roof of the topper. The tips inside the cab are not close to anything to no special protection needed.

jmcd22

Reaction score
The rod tips are inside the cab of the pickup on both setups, the foam block where they sit at an angle and rest on a piece of foam with “V” cuts inserted between the cab and the topper and the holders that are closer to the roof of the topper. The tips inside the cab are not close to anything to no special protection needed.
Thanks! They must be at a good angle...I thought they might touch the roof on the inside of the cab. Right now I put my rods through my back window reel first and let the tips hang out the back. Not ideal but it works moving from spot to spot.