ROLL CASTING

guyg

Reaction score
I have been trying to improve my roll casting - mostly get more distance. Made an an v device to anchor the tippet and have been practicing on short grass. I get close but to 40 ft. but would like 10 more ft. Am I asking too much on grass? Any tips or suggestions? I practice with a 5 and 8 wt;

silver creek

Reaction score
Any tips or suggestions?
You need to practice on water. The distance you can roll cast is a function of the D Loop anchor. The anchor is what allows you to load the rod and a greater rod load results in a longer cast. You cannot really anchor the D Loop on grass because the there is no adhesion of fly line to grass as there when the fly line is on water.

You can try adding a single haul to the roll cast for more distance.

But for the longest cast use a dynamic roll cast with a haul.

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score
I have been trying to improve my roll casting - mostly get more distance. Made an an v device to anchor the tippet and have been practicing on short grass. I get close but to 40 ft. but would like 10 more ft. Am I asking too much on grass? Any tips or suggestions? I practice with a 5 and 8 wt;
This is a question with a few possible answers..
I'm not sure what kind of anchor device you made sounds interesting ?

Main question you want 10' more feet on grass.
A 40' foot roll cast on grass may actually be a 50' foot on water because of what Silver has explained.

I don't think you are asking too much to get ten more feet on grass it would simply mean refining your technique. For instance I'm sure there is someone out there who is the roll cast champ that could (using your setup on your home turf) bust out a 50' roll cast. I won't go down the rabbit hole if this is necessary or not. I'll just accept the fact you wnat to do it.

Now there are a few bandaid approaches for you to achieve your goal of ten more feet on grass.
Why, because you won't be changing your technique just the outside factors.
First way is to wet down your grass you will get way more stick for roll casting and probably ten more feet.
You could try a line that is more suited for a roll cast if you don't have one on already.

Casting technique...
Some other possibilities to gain ten more feet is to change your technique. But this only if you are starting from a dead hang roll cast.
As Silver posted, you could try a dynamic roll cast, a roll cast with a haul or both and or try using a switch style of cast.
Although if you try a switch cast for sure you will need to wet your grass to makes this work.

Alrighty, good luck have fun!

flav

Reaction score
You can use a grass leader, which has blood knots with tags sticking out ever foot or so to catch on the grass. Those work pretty well, but it definitely is better and easier to roll cast on water.

If you're looking for added distance, I agree with LOC, get a line with a taper designed for roll casting and/or learn dynamic roll casting or single hand spey techniques.

Txbart

Reaction score
Silver or flav - What total length do you recommend for a grass leader? 5wt and 6wt rod.

Thanks!

dr d

Reaction score
beside of all technical advices you can fix the tip of leader and lengthen by

going backwards step by step - so you can see what´s your border.

b.r.

thomas

flav

Reaction score
Because you're building a grass leader yourself you can add or subtract till you get enough "stick" to anchor your cast. I suggest starting out with about the same length as your usual leader setup. Also be sure to use stiff mono so it can grab the grass, I have one tied with 15 lb maxima that works pretty well.

Another thought is to consider overlining. Because the bottom half of your D loop isn't involved in loading your rod during a roll cast you actually want a heavier line. Single hand Spey guys, like myself, will often go up 2-3 line weights. I'm not saying putting your 8 weight line on your 5 weight, although that's very doable, but if you have a 6 or 7 laying around maybe consider trying it on your 5 weight and you'll get better roll casts and still be able to overhead cast If you want.

LOC

Reaction score
Grass leaders...
I have one as well and I find them to work but keep in mind it's a little different stick then casting on water.
Also let me reiterate, if your goal is to make a 50' roll cast on grass using a dead hang technique I advise you to work on refining your technique.
If you add a grass leader yeah maybe you'll be abe to get 10' more but you are still using your 40' technique. You might reach your goal but you are not reaching your goal by improving your roll cast. What is good about roll casting on dry grass is it forces you to have to have good technique because it is harder.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
It is possible to rollcast 40ft on grass without too much problems. An MCI showed me he can easily cast 50ft on grass without any anchoring device or a special leader and it is all down to technique. Have you seen this simple diagram \\\\\\\ /? Long translation and late rotation of the rod is key.

Last edited:

Txbart

Reaction score
I made the suggested lawn leader - ~2’, 30# butt, 3’, 14# midsection and 2’, 14# end/tippet. I’ve never been able to get a halfway decent roll cast on the grass (or water for that matter) but this leader made things work much better. I could feel the blood knot tags hanging slightly in the grass when I stripped line back in. Thanks for the recommendation! (Still concentrating on my double haul technique!)