ROLL CASTING

trev

Reaction score
Roll cast it out, bit by bit
I don't, but I've been at it almost 50 years, in the first ten years roll cast was 95% of all my fishing. There are a few ways to get line out there, but I'm guessing the novice doesn't know them. I also do it from the bank as often as not and very rarely back in the same direction of the "pick up", almost every cast is a change of direction. 40' should not be anyone's limit in roll casting either, if measured from feet to fly.

My point is that a beginner not knowing how to roll cast, won't know how to "roll cast it out, bit by bit". I've watched a couple dozen of the roll cast and spey videos made by various actors and so far they have all assumed that the viewer already knew how to roll cast. I'd also bet that a video made form the casters line hand side would be more instructive than one made from almost any other position because it would more nearly represent the caster's perspective, but it may be just me that has trouble inverting and translating other views- I'm not at all video oriented.
I've never seen "good roll casting video", I have seen videos by good, very good and excellent roll casters and I'm sure that someone can pick up bits of technique from all of them. Personally I could learn more from a line drawing and stick figures.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Best really is for a professional lesson. roll casting.jpg
This is what happens when a crappy roll caster gets taught by a pro. Tight loop even when roll casting on grass without any fixing device.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I don't, but I've been at it almost 50 years, in the first ten years roll cast was 95% of all my fishing. There are a few ways to get line out there, but I'm guessing the novice doesn't know them. I also do it from the bank as often as not and very rarely back in the same direction of the "pick up", almost every cast is a change of direction. 40' should not be anyone's limit in roll casting either, if measured from feet to fly.

My point is that a beginner not knowing how to roll cast, won't know how to "roll cast it out, bit by bit". I've watched a couple dozen of the roll cast and spey videos made by various actors and so far they have all assumed that the viewer already knew how to roll cast. I'd also bet that a video made form the casters line hand side would be more instructive than one made from almost any other position because it would more nearly represent the caster's perspective, but it may be just me that has trouble inverting and translating other views- I'm not at all video oriented.
I've never seen "good roll casting video", I have seen videos by good, very good and excellent roll casters and I'm sure that someone can pick up bits of technique from all of them. Personally I could learn more from a line drawing and stick figures.
i've never seen a video where they explain it either.

I just figured it out on my own.

Maybe you should make a how-to video to help out newbies with that.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Here is Joan Wulff demonstrating extending line out the rod at the start. I don't rate her roll cast demonstration despite her being well known for being a great caster though. Much prefer Marco's roll cast. Just press watch on vimeo.

Chadflys

Reaction score
Little update. I purchased some Wulff TT and it cast like a dream. Roll casts are much much better and positive. I put my Orvis Hydros trout back on and I can roll cast it, but with a weak loop. TT much more positive loop. Now though I’ve read orange line isn’t good to fish with as it’s scary. Please share your experience.

Chad

Chadflys

Reaction score
Little update. I purchased some Wulff TT and it cast like a dream. Roll casts are much much better and positive. I put my Orvis Hydros trout back on and I can roll cast it, but with a weak loop. TT much more positive loop. Now though I’ve read orange line isn’t good to fish with as it’s scary. Please share your experience.

Chad
Fished with it twice now. Undetermined at this point. I’m only slightly ahead with my pond green line. It sure is bright though!

flav

Reaction score
If the orange line bothers you, the TT is also available in ivory and olive. I like ivory lines myself, very visible to me, and blends in with the sky from below.

Bright colored fly lines turn most casters off. However, when you're roll/spey casting your line isn't flying back and forth above the fish in false casts like overhead casters. So unless you line the fish you're not likely to spook them. Bright lines actually have a cult following with a small group of Spey casters. The visibility of the line makes it easier to know exactly where you're setting your anchor when you form your D loop, and makes casting easier for many folks.

trev

Reaction score
I prefer olive or ivory or peach colored lines, but if I use a leader the line itself should never be seen by the fish. At one time I had a bright yellow line that caught lots of fish.

Chadflys

Reaction score
If the orange line bothers you, the TT is also available in ivory and olive. I like ivory lines myself, very visible to me, and blends in with the sky from below.

Bright colored fly lines turn most casters off. However, when you're roll/spey casting your line isn't flying back and forth above the fish in false casts like overhead casters. So unless you line the fish you're not likely to spook them. Bright lines actually have a cult following with a small group of Spey casters. The visibility of the line makes it easier to know exactly where you're setting your anchor when you form your D loop, and makes casting easier for many folks.
I actually like watching the orange line and I can understand that part. I’m still new roll casting got me looking for a better line. Orange was on sale and I thought what the heck. It wasn’t until after I bought it that the thought of it scaring the fish crossed my mind. So far though I can’t say it does. No matter what, the area I fish is highly pressured catch and release area. The two times I’ve used this line I seem to be landing more than most and it has more to do with technique than anything. I try to get my cast replaced with no more than one false cast or no false cast at all. It’s fun no doubt testing anyways!

Last edited: