Ross San Miguel

flyfishsick

Reaction score
i don't see people posting anything about the new Ross San Miguel??? Anyone fishing one? What are your thoughts about this reel?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
You might check out the threads below.

My short take: Smooth; expensive; too heavy (for graphite); prefer the looks of the original

flyfishsick

Reaction score
thanks for the links. i'm looking for a reel that would balance out a euro rod. Seems like all the new reels out today are having a contest on who could be the lightest??? :unsure:

jjcm

Reaction score
Sage has a euro nymph reel too.

I just bought a San Miguel for a fiberglass rod. I went out reel shopping sort of determined to buy an Abel and played around with maybe a dozen different reels without price being a factor in my purchase decision. My first inclination was a Super or a SDF with the underwood artwork, and they are indeed fine reels.

I ended up walking out with the San Miguel. They are definitely quality. From what I understand Ross was wanting to raise the price on them because their margins are not a lot on these reels. They cost them a lot to produce because of the workmanship and matirials that go into them.

I just really liked how this reel paired with my rod. They are beautiful reels. There is nothing sweeter than getting a rod, reel, and line combo that matches just right.

I liked how much they weight for my purposes, and that might also be beneficial for a euro nymph rig.

Last edited:

jjcm

Reaction score
I think some of them have small weight plates that can be used to adjust the reel's weight. I have seen this feature marketed for euro nymphing and also spey.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
If you look at Hardy's new UDLA reels they feature a full frame design specifically designed to help preclude the sucking of mono into the reel.
1615494796661.png

hatidua

Reaction score
i don't see people posting anything about the new Ross San Miguel??? Anyone fishing one? What are your thoughts about this reel?
I have one. It spins like no reel I've owned, it only clicks in one direction, the spool release is a push-button much like Galvan Torque reels, the weight is something I find matches well with my various 4-5wt rods. The solid frame (not ported) appeals to me, -overall I really like it.

rufi_ooo

Reaction score
I have one in a 4/5 and fish in on my 590 Sage X. I think it balances really well for me, though I do prefer a slightly heavier reel for that fulcrum point advantage. Also, I had a 5/6 and it paired really with with my 597 Sage X but I ended selling it to use the funds for an Abel Vaya 5/6.

if you do get one, you’re going to be one happy camper! They’re super sleek and the best looking all black reel in my opinion.

loomis303

Reaction score
If you look at Hardy's new UDLA reels they feature a full frame design specifically designed to help preclude the sucking of mono into the reel.
View attachment 32546
I have just purchased the UDLA in 4000, 5000 and 6000. They are a marked improvement over the CA DD in every way. HC has used his experience in the World Championships to produce a superbly designed full frame. These reels cover everything I am likely to encounter. My slight reservation is venturing backcountry in NZ and encountering a fall - the lightweight design whilst conducive to modern performance rods may not be able to withstand the rough and tumble of NZ backcountry. A Galvan Torque will be sitting in the backpack as a backup. For modern techniques elsewhere, these are cracking reels.