Running Lines

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been fishing mono since the beginning and I decided to try a coated running line, went with a 20lb Airflo superdri running line, I think its going to be cool for smallmouth and stripping up closer, and I think for steelhead I`m hoping to cast 60-70` with this stuff, I know the distance isn't as much as mono, but I dunno I cast spey and integrated lines a long ways if needed, so I don't know. I can still use all my different heads and hang on to fly line and mend, I like the concept.

I want to be able to mend a little better and less curls and mono tangle issues, I`m not going for extreme distance on my home steelhead rivers. Could be cool we will see, anyone else using coated or fly line running lines with your different heads?

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Good mono doesn't curl if it's stretched, but the true advantages of mono in my opinion are less ice in the guides in sub freezing temps and less bow in the running line with full sink heads or in windy conditions. Distance is another, but it isn't always necessary.

Everything in angling is give and take and coated running lines certainly have their applications with floating heads.

For stripping streamers for Bass or Trout, I definitely prefer integrated coating running lines.

flav

Reaction score
I've always been a coated running line guy. I've tried mono, but never liked it. I got into two handed rods for ease of casting, casting with no room behind me, and for line control, distance is just a happy bonus.
Of course I fish in the west, so ice in the guides is seldom a serious problem, but even then I usually just fish an integrated mid belly and since I don't have to strip ice is never an issue.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I use the Rio .024 & .030 with no problems for 60/70, the OPST Lazer I have on a trout spey. The mono is good too but I can't feel it when it gets cold. That's with a scandi head , guess the skagit wouldn't be too far behind.

duker

Reaction score
Like flav I've always used the coated running lines--never liked mono. I've used both the Rio Powerflex and Airflo Ridge running lines in various diameters and been happy with both of those. Use the thinnest you can get away with for the weight of your head. For a 510 grain Rage head I use .030 running line.

Scott

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I also have Steve Godshall running line. It's looped so I can change heads of course. I'm sure it has a name but it seems similar to any other quality running line you would find on an integrated fly line. I still have amnesia on another reel and it surely casts farther, but something a little closer to a normal running line is just more pleasant to use.

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
I use an Airflo coated running line and a Rio. Mono gives more distance. Depending on what kind one uses, it can be a very affordable option.

I find stripping feels better with a coated running line. Also, I sometimes fish a Skagit with a floating tip to nymph short drifts, line management feels more comfortable with a coated line than mono for this.

I like both of them in different ways.

coug

Reaction score
I do not use Skagit heads, instead mine are short or midbelly from 50 to 65 feet. I do not like mono but that seems to be the choice for some local Jedis (who also compete in speyorama). I use monic and airflo coated. I have a godshall elf and it is also nice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Very cool, I`m very interested to try it out and see how it performs, Can you get more overhang with a coated line even with the loop to loop? I think they said it has like a black 5` marking section on the end.

I think I`m going to have a good cold water rig, Groove head 375 grain with 12` 132 grain tip and airflo running line on my 11` X I think its going to be groovy.