S&A or RIO?

• S&A

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • RIO

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Straight forward choice here, only 2 to choose from.
I was a S&A guy for years, decided to try RIO and stuck with them for a while but I think I'm going to go back to S&A lines. Which one of these two do you prefer?

S&A or RIO?

trout sniper

Reaction score
That is a toughie. Both have their merits. I've been using RIO Gold for a whle now, and love it, so my vote goes to Rio. Still, I love SA lefty kreh line and their GPX is good stuff.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a bit oldschool:eek:so voted for SA:rolleyes:.... Fysh,will vote for Rio if you include brazilian girls:D:D:D
Just bought a Cortland Sylk(oldschool again:eek:)but haven't tested it yet....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Most of my lines are RIO but I also have some SA lines. I guess I agree with Dennis, for freshwater fishing I could go either way, they both make really nice lines. I don't do Spey (yet) or Salt so I can't say.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi larry,

I am a creature of habit and perhaps a hack when it comes to deciphering whether one line is better than another. One of my lines is a sky blue Orvis SSS Rocket Taper #5 made by 'who knows', that I bought in 1985 - 86. I really can't tell the difference between that line and a brand new one when I cast them on the same rod...........

With the Spey lines I think getting the belly length and weight right takes much precedence over who made the line. If it doesn't load up the rod properly it just won't work regardless of brand.

milt spawn

Reaction score
For me it's SA, then RIO, then Cortland. FWIW, I believe Cortland lines are made in USA, not sure about the others. milt. Update: Just recieved an SA Textured in the mail today and it says Made in USA.

Last edited:

comeonavs

Reaction score
I voted SA just because I am totally hooked on the Mastery Textured Trout Stalker for dry fly fishing. That being said I have plenty of RIO Selective TroutII and Trout LT on a 1wt and a few 3wts and there is nothing wrong with them at all. If there is anything wrong with them I am not adept enough to know what that is.

Just the old tuning fork in my loins went haywire when I tried the trout stalker from SA :wiggle:

guido

Reaction score
I'm a stillwater guy. SA gives me the tools I need to fish the entire water column.

LOC

Reaction score
Either or, I pick a line by what I need for the situation not by the manufacturer.
I also rarely pay full retail for a line so longevity is not a deciding factor as with some folks (which I get if you are dropping over a C-note on a fly line).
I just purchased a Spey shooting line from Monic totally new waters for me.

The only line I have multiples of is Rio Gold.

Last edited:

Jgill0056

Reaction score
ive had bad luck with Rio. Ive had several spools show up without loops like they were returned spools.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am a creature of habit and perhaps a hack when it comes to deciphering whether one line is better than another. One of my lines is a sky blue Orvis SSS Rocket Taper #5 made by 'who knows', that I bought in 1985 - 86. I really can't tell the difference between that line and a brand new one when I cast them on the same rod...........
Ard the SSS was a great line. An early "long belly" taper produced for Orvis by then 3M owned SA. It latter morphed into the XXS/Expert Distance Taper in SA's catalog under master line designer, Bruce Richards. The Orvis employee who designed it, the other master line designer, John Harder, latter was the head design at RIO and designed today's best performing overall presentation taper, Gold. Both of these men are now retired but the young engineer/line designer at RIO is now terrific too.

RIO, SA and modern Cortland are all making fine lines today. I select by taper design and presentation performance not brand and, in order of ones I fish the most, I have spooled RIO, Cortland and lastly SA.