SA Amplitude MPX ???

serengeti

Reaction score
How are people liking this line? It's application would be for Atlantic salmon on an 8 weight rod.
Thanks, Leo.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I really like my Amplitude lines. The MPX is a much shorter head for power. The line can shoot a 'country mile'. If your looking for a powerful line that can give you better distance, the MPX is the ticket.

ryc72

Reaction score
i have it in 5/6/8 weights. love the line. shoots like crazy. noisy. tough on the fingers tho. if youre doing a lot of line stripping youre gonna need finger/stripping guards. which is why ive primarily moved to the smooth lines. the smooth lines dont shoot as well but are quieter and easier on the fingers. feel like the amplitude line also floats a little better. i dont use the 8wt any more...was thinking of selling it. if interested, send me a pm.

serengeti

Reaction score
I am also looking at the new Rio Elite Grand. Any thoughts on this line as well? I didn't know the Amplitude was hard on the fingers. I assume (I know one shouldn't) the Rio Elite is not textured or am I wrong?

Thanks again, Leo.

itinerant

Reaction score
I am also looking at the new Rio Elite Grand. Any thoughts on this line as well? I didn't know the Amplitude was hard on the fingers. I assume (I know one shouldn't) the Rio Elite is not textured or am I wrong?

Thanks again, Leo.
Hey Leo,

I've used the Amplitude MPX on my 6 and 8 weights and unlike RYC I don't feel like the texture is hard on my fingers so I suppose YMMV. In answer to your other question(s), I haven't used the Grand but I do know that the Rio Elite lines are not textured.

Rick

ryc72

Reaction score
i sadly spend a disproportionate amount of my life behind a keyboard. i probably have more sensitive/delicate hands/skin than most! if youre stripping streamers all day or like to strip fish in rather than put fish on the reel, the texturing is definitely noticeable to me. and definitely more irritating in salt water and less so in fresh. it is a great line...it doesnt stop me from fishing the line...i just need to make sure i have the proper precautions. as itinerant said YMMV.

brownbass

Reaction score

Thanks again, Leo.
I believe the RIO Grand line is a full line size heavy compared to the half-line size weight of the MPX.

Bill

serengeti

Reaction score
The Grand is a full size heavier, that I knew. Wondering about the shootabality is like compared to the AMPLITUDE MPX. I probably have one thread going where maybe it should have been two.

Leo

hatidua

Reaction score
I've fished nothing but the 5 & 7 weight versions of the Amplitude MPX for the past five days on five different rivers in Colorado. It turns over nymph rigs great. It shoots an entire line with streamer on the pointy end with complete ease - yeah, the whole line to the backing knot with no effort. It is as delicate as a bowling ball at placing dry flies in pockets. Does it have a place in my arsenal of lines? -yes. Is it right for all things? -no.

hatidua

Reaction score
Just an update on my experience with the MPX lines. I'm late to the party on textured lines so yesterday was my first sub-freezing temperature morning with a textured line. I will never do that again. Yikes, what an ice-fest, I've never had more issues with globs of ice from the guides sticking to the fly line, and then having that glob of ice unwilling to go through the next guide as it's so firmly stuck to the textured fly line. Fun line at times in the summer for specific roles but the textured MPX lines I have will be relegated to warm weather use. There's an infinity/smooth sitting here in a box on my desk that I have yet to try, maybe that will be OK but this textured line + ice = NO.

justahack

Reaction score
Just an update on my experience with the MPX lines. I'm late to the party on textured lines so yesterday was my first sub-freezing temperature morning with a textured line. I will never do that again. Yikes, what an ice-fest, I've never had more issues with globs of ice from the guides sticking to the fly line, and then having that glob of ice unwilling to go through the next guide as it's so firmly stuck to the textured fly line. Fun line at times in the summer for specific roles but the textured MPX lines I have will be relegated to warm weather use. There's an infinity/smooth sitting here in a box on my desk that I have yet to try, maybe that will be OK but this textured line + ice = NO.
I use mucilin on the guides in winter

serengeti

Reaction score
So I received the Rio Elite Grand. It's a very nice line, very slick. This is lawn casting, probably would be a little slicker on water. Now I'm not sure I can cast an 8 weight due to arthritis.

Leo