SA Amplitude Smooth Trout vs. Infinity on Hardy Shadow 4wt

broens

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new fly line for my Hardy Shadow 4wt. Fishing mostly small mountains streams with dries from size 14-18 for distances from 3 to 30 feet. I don't fish when it's super windy, but oftentimes it's not totally quiet either.

Which one would you suggest? The Infinity, which is a half size heavy, of the Trout? I don't remember the brand of my old line, but it was also a half size heavy,

What do other people use on their Hardy Shadow 4wt (sintrix 220)?

Best

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new fly line for my Hardy Shadow 4wt. Fishing mostly small mountains streams with dries from size 14-18 for distances from 3 to 30 feet. I don't fish when it's super windy, but oftentimes it's not totally quiet either.

Which one would you suggest? The Infinity, which is a half size heavy, of the Trout? I don't remember the brand of my old line, but it was also a half size heavy,

What do other people use on their Hardy Shadow 4wt (sintrix 220)?

Best
I am using a Mastery Trout and also a Rio Gold on mine. The rod is very lively and snappy, absolutely love it.

The Mastery Trout is perfect for dry fly fishing, roll casts, and lighter streamers and swinging wet flies. I have not tried it to nymph with indicators. Casts long, easy to mend, shoot. Very delicate to single pickup cast.

Rio gold is on this rod most often as it can do everything. Heavier hopper droppers, attractors, light nymphing, and BWOs. I can cast a lite sinking polyleader with a muddler no probs (not pretty but catches fish). Also my go-to wet fly setup with an int/slow/fast 5' polyleader. Bomb a 60 foot cast no probs but accuracy suffers.

So for strictly dries you will enjoy the trout. The rod is not too fussy for me although I use the Gold more.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
I don't know that rod but I do know and use these lines. The SA Trout taper is my main dry fly line, has been for years, and for this fishing I tend toward rods that are not speed demons. When it's windy or some other challenge is better met with a stiffer rod moving more mass -- tighter loops, higher line speeds, longer shots -- then I switch to something like that and have been using the Infinity taper, where I would've been using SA's previous half-heavy trout line, GPX and MPX.

For instance, lately on the BWO and midge scene, I'll take take a pair of 9' 4 weights to the river, a Pure strung with an SA Trout (Amplitude, to be specific), and a Sage X strung with an Infinity (Amplitude Smooth). Same leaders and flies. The Infinity is too much for the Pure, while the Trout does not provide enough mass to create close-in feel and control with the X, for my tastes.

Most of the recent Hardy's I've cast have been pretty crisp. Not sure what the "easy loading, fast recovering" in Hardy marketing copy means with respect to the usual slow/medium/fast formulation. Easy loading suggests it likes standard weight lines, like Trout.

dipaoro

Reaction score
I have the Hardy Zephrus 4W 8.6 on a Ross Evo 4/5 reel. Using the SA Smooth Infinity and its a match made in heaven.

Now, I am buying new line for my Loomis NRX Lp 5W 9' - just bought the SA Smooth Trout....as the Infinity seemed a bit too heavy.

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
This is an old post so my reply is more for the benefit of future readers. The Shadow does fine with either a 'true' weight or '1/2 heavy' weight. I liked the Infinity Smooth on in, but I REALLY like the Barrio Smallstream, especially for the kind of water that the OP mentioned. Loads beautifully at short distances, but can handle longer distances fine.