SA/Hardy reel parts

Drake Green

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might find schematics for SA System series reels made by Hardy? I have collection of parts from 3M from when they still owned SA. Some parts fit my System 8. Others are different sizes, some look common across the series and also fit some Hardy reels like the Salmon. Part bags are labeled so I’d like to cross reference to other reels. I heard promptly back from SA who said they didn’t have access to the old files.
Tight lines

duker

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might find schematics for SA System series reels made by Hardy? I have collection of parts from 3M from when they still owned SA. Some parts fit my System 8. Others are different sizes, some look common across the series and also fit some Hardy reels like the Salmon. Part bags are labeled so I’d like to cross reference to other reels. I heard promptly back from SA who said they didn’t have access to the old files.
Tight lines
I bought a SA System 11 a couple years back (basically a Hardy Marquis) and found a copy of the owner's manual on the Classic Fly Rod Forum. Members there have posted the manuals for a number of older reels. Don't know about schematics--those aren't included in the owner's manual--but someone on that forum may either have them or know where you can get them. If you posted pics of the parts on that forum chances are someone there could identify them--someone on this forum likely can as well.

One other thing you may want to try is contact Bill Archuleta's Reel Works in Oregon. I know a lot of forum members and especially the spey community have nothing but great things to say about the guy and his reel repair. He may be able to provide schematics or at least help you sort out the parts.

Drake Green

Reaction score
I bought a SA System 11 a couple years back (basically a Hardy Marquis) and found a copy of the owner's manual on the Classic Fly Rod Forum. Members there have posted the manuals for a number of older reels. Don't know about schematics--those aren't included in the owner's manual--but someone on that forum may either have them or know where you can get them. If you posted pics of the parts on that forum chances are someone there could identify them--someone on this forum likely can as well.

One other thing you may want to try is contact Bill Archuleta's Reel Works in Oregon. I know a lot of forum members and especially the spey community have nothing but great things to say about the guy and his reel repair. He may be able to provide schematics or at least help you sort out the parts.
Thanks. I check out that forum and try Bill.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Marquis schematics seem to be scarce on the internet. Perhaps someone who bought a new Marquis has a schematic in the box.

The Hardy/ SA System reels from the System 4 through System 10 each have an identical matching Hardy Marquis counter part, with the number designations being the same up to the System 8, which is identical to the Hardy Marquis 8/9 --- and as it goes, the SA System 4, 5, 6, & 7 models are virtually identical to the Marquis 4, 5, 6, & 7 models, respectively. The System 9 = Marquis 10. The System 10 = Marquis Salmon 1.
Hardy also made a Marquis 2/3.
There were three variations of the spool face color on the Marquis, depending on the year it was made.

I don't know that the schematics & parts change much between those click & pawl models, other than some parts such as springs and pawls are larger for larger models.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I actually went through the entire reel papers thread on the fiberglass forum just this morning
They had a System 1, but I don't remember seeing any other System reels
I had that in mind as I was thinking about adding this

Attachments

Nonno

Reaction score
My Scientific Anglers system 6 is identical to my Hardy Marquis #6 (except the orientation of the drag knob).
SA left, Marquis right.

20210716_144715-01.jpeg20210716_144647-01.jpeg

Last edited: