SA Infinity vs MPX vs Trout

The Texas Angler

Reaction score
Hey friends, I currently have two fly lines, a Scientific Anglers Mastery Bass Bug line and a Scientific Anglers Mastery Titan Long line. The reason I own these two specific lines is because I live in Texas and fish for warm water species with bigger flies most of the year. These two lines share the exact same taper, just one is better for the heat (Bass Bug) and the other is better when the temps drop and the water temp cools off (Titan Long).

I live close to the Guadalupe River which is the nations southernmost trout fishery and is a fantastic river to fish for browns and rainbows. I also travel a fair amount for work and am often in states that offer great trout fishing as well. As such, I'm wanting to get more into fishing for trout and realize I need to get some different lines for this.

I'm a huge SA fan and have owned their MPX line in the past and really liked it. I thought about going that route since it's a pretty good all-around fly line, but I also tossed around the idea of getting the Amplitude Smooth Infinity since its taper looks like it might offer more delicate presentations for small dry flies. It also looks like it would be easier to mend.

My concern with the Infinity line is how it would handle throwing bigger dries and small streamers as well as hopper dropper rigs, double nymph rigs and nymphs with strike indicators (I use Air-Locks). Would the MPX line be substantially better for that, or has anyone here used the Infinity line for those types of rigs without any issues?

I also tossed around the idea of getting two lines since I own two extra spools. I thought about the idea of grabbing an MPX for bigger flies, small streamers and nymph rigs and the Amplitude Smooth Trout line for small dry flies with soft presentations. I thought those two lines would give me the best of both worlds. My only concern with going that route is that my two rods are a TFO Mangrove (rated as a fast action, but not real fast) and a TFO Pro II (medium-fast), both in 6wt, which I thought might not handle the trout line as well since it's a true to weight line with a pretty spread out taper. 9 times out of 10 I'm hitting the river with my Mangrove, so I didn't know how well the Trout line would work with that rod.

I'd love some advice on these fly lines and what route some of you think I should go. Should I grab the Infinity and call it a day? Should I grab the MPX and just roll with that? Should I grab the MPX and the Trout and hope that the Trout throws well with my Mangrove? Or should I look at something else entirely? Thanks for your help!

osseous

Reaction score
Smooth Infiniti and smooth infiniti trout are very different tapers from one another. The Trout is geared toward dry fly presentation, whereas the standard smooth infiniti taper is heavier and geared toward all around use. MPX is essentially the textured version of the smooth infiniti. Either of those would be a good choice

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ard

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
I own all those lines in multiple sizes. I do not care for the MPX in typical trout sizes. I would rather have the infinity or trout on my 5wts. I have an 8wt MXP for pike fishing and it feels fantastic. I wouldn’t recomend MPX for most trout rods, but it is a good line for throwing big and ugly flies in larger sizes.

69texaseyes

Reaction score
Like all things, are you tossing flies from a boat, kayak or wading? Lines that load easier are better when kayaking and from small boats.

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
MPX is more front-loaded than the infinity. Check out the taper diagrams on the sa website. Both are 1/2 heavy.

You might get slightly better presentation at distance with infinity, as well as better mending. You might get more purchase on extra meaty flies with the mpx. You might not even notice the difference depending on the rod, conditions, etc.

If I was looking for a 1/2 heavy line, I would go with the infinity because I think it may afford a bit more versatility.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk