SA Skagit Heads Revised for 2021

jjcm

Reaction score

Wondering if anyone has given them a go yet? I've been looking for an intermediate head and kind of between this one and the OPST Groove.

huronfly

Reaction score
I have not tried it, but I've used Airflo, Rio, and OPST skagits in both floating and intermediate. I just looked at the taper and it looks to be similar to Airflo, but with a slightly tapered belly. IMO Rio has put too much of a taper on their skagit max lines and doesn't turn over tips as well as other companies, so good on S.A. for not going too far in that direction. The new taper should be decent for throwing tips and large flies, but not revolutionary by any means. I wouldn't sell my lines to buy into the marketing hype, unless maybe I needed a new one. I'd be just as happy with a discounted previous gen line, the difference will not be very noticeable.

jjcm

Reaction score
I just scored on two closeout scandi lines: an SA Spey Lite floater and a Rio Scandi Body sinker. Looked around for deals on a short intermediate skagit head in the grains I need, but didn't find anything so far (except for new scandi lines:). Thinking I might need to pay full price for one.