Sage Domain spool removal?

prmike307

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another forum, but am I the only one that's having a hard time removing the spool on my Sage Domain full cage reels?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Push harder would be my only advice.

I've had three of them but currently don't have any in house here. During ownership periods I only ever took off a spool once and did so just to see how it worked. I had large models that were used on 2 hand rods and they were one line reels meaning I had no need to remove spools. I also had a couple of their Evoke models and if I recall they worked similarly. When they introduced the Spectrum Max series I sold all the others and went with the Spectrum reels. They have a threaded hub for spool removal which works very well.

But with regard to your specific issue I think you just need to push a bit more forcefully. If that is unsuccessful I'd consider sending it back to Sage. Worst case they replace the reel with a newer model. If it's a pre owned reel do yourself a favor and don't bother mentioning that when you send it back. Check their website for a service document to fill out prior to mailing.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Like Ard said Mike, push hard. I bought one from Ard for my 2 hander and it was very difficult to push off. I think part of it is getting my thumbs into the openings. I do think it comes off easier after the first couple times. It's not a big deal for me , really how many times do you swap a spool with a 2 hander anyway.

prmike307

Reaction score
Like Ard said Mike, push hard. I bought one from Ard for my 2 hander and it was very difficult to push off. I think part of it is getting my thumbs into the openings. I do think it comes off easier after the first couple times. It's not a big deal for me , really how many times do you swap a spool with a 2 hander anyway.
True, on my spey reel it's mostly switching out heads and tips.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul's post brought back memories. It is difficult to get your thumbs on the back of the spool because of the way the frame is built. Tips won't get it done, you need to get the face of the thumbs (part where the thumb print is located) and then you can pop them out.