Sage Graphite ll 581 LLB and K.M.Baird

Redbone

Reaction score
First let me apologize if this is wrong area. (Moderators please move if so)
A few months ago i acquired a few fly rods at at an estate sale, for what i hope was a decent price.
The first one is a Sage graphite ll 581 LLB. It is in excellent condition as far as i can tell, no wear on grip, good finish etc.
The next is a bamboo rod, with extra tip marked K.M BAIRD on one flat, 7'4" 4 wt. on the next flat and then 2 flats over, it has either an A or a 3 pointed star, followed by "Coup Stick". Also in excellent condition.
Both are straight, with no sign of warping.
Neither came in an actual fly rod tube. Both were in rod socks, wrapped in old bath towels then put in 6" pvc.
In the bottom of the pvc, were a Hardy Brothers of England "The Golden Prince 7/8" reel in what i believe is original case. It does have wear on spool rim and on fixed rim. (Any help on value appreciated) And a scientific anglers 456 also made in England.20200730_234958.jpg
In my very limited fly fishing knowledge (knowledge is being generous:) I can find only limited references to the Sage rod, as it seems most were lll's and absolutely no references for the Baird rod.
Hopefully i can figure out how to post pictures, but would appreciate any help at all in finding a reasonable and realistic value for either or both.

Attachments

jayr

Reaction score
The Sage 581 while not common does show up every now and then. Yours was sold as a blank, that’s what the B stands for. I have seen both the series II and III.

When establishing value I usually got to EBay and do the advanced search for sold items. This will at least tell you what others are paying for them and not necessarily asking for them. There was a factory 581 that sold for $404 on eBay and one other factory currently in the $300’s.

What will be the issue for yours is that it was sold as a blank and built by someone else. In the fly rod world, factory rods command higher prices than custom built rods virtually all of the time. Yours also doesn’t have the factory tube or sock, I am assuming. If I had to put a value on it, I would say $225 to $250. Now, if someone just has to have one, it could go higher. In order to realize maximum price you would probably have to put it on eBay or just be prepared to list it and wait on getting more for it.

The LL series was a very popular lineup most notably the 389. The 581 is not near as common but that doesn’t necessarily equate a higher value. Sage also made some LL’s for export such as Japan and these are oddball models you do not see except those being sold as export on sites such as EBay from Japan.

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
As for the Baird bamboo rod, I couldn’t find anything via the usual search engines.

Your rod would be called a 2/2. Two piece with two tips, more desirable than a 2/1.

With bamboo it is all about the taper. That will determine the “fishability“ of the rod. Some makers will put the taper on the rod, yours didn’t. You will see wording like Dickerson 7013, Payne 101, etc. These are historic documented tapers that can be looked up online and duplicated in modern day produced rods.

The rod does appear to be a modern production as opposed to an older classic. There are absolutely dozens of one man bamboo makers out there that do not have web sites. I know of several in NC alone. This could be one of those. I have seen lots of local makers in the some of the fly shops I have visited here in the SE that you cannot find on the internet. Some are very nicely made and others fairly crude.

you probably should visit the Classic Fly rod forum as they are heavily into bamboo over there.

Redbone

Reaction score
Jayr,
I greatly appreciate the response and information. And i will look on the forum you suggested.
I did mistakenly put km baird when i should have put R.M. Baird. R.B. is also on each of the tips.
Thank you for your input, and i will do as you suggest and check on ebay. I wasnt sure if that was a reliable source for prices on fly rods.

jayr

Reaction score
EBay is reliable, but you have to check the price on *sold* items. This at least tells you what someone else is willing to pay for that item. You have to do an advanced search to get that number.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I don’t know if you are interested in fishing that Sage LL 581. I still have mine from the 1980s that was custom made by Dave McNeese in Salem, Oregon. Dave cast those rods when they first came out and swore that the 581 was the pick of the litter. I used it all over Idaho for trout in the 90s. It was (and is) a super rod for dries and soft hackles, particularly on smaller streams. Sort of specialized these days, but still fun to fish and worth using.

Mine was a gift from my boss at the time so I have never considered selling it or the potential price. So many good rods these days that any sale would depend on someone knowing that rod and really wanting one.

Good luck,

Don

Redbone

Reaction score
I don’t know if you are interested in fishing that Sage LL 581. I still have mine from the 1980s that was custom made by Dave McNeese in Salem, Oregon. Dave cast those rods when they first came out and swore that the 581 was the pick of the litter. I used it all over Idaho for trout in the 90s. It was (and is) a super rod for dries and soft hackles, particularly on smaller streams. Sort of specialized these days, but still fun to fish and worth using.

Mine was a gift from my boss at the time so I have never considered selling it or the potential price. So many good rods these days that any sale would depend on someone knowing that rod and really wanting one.

Good luck,

Don
I appreciate the response and insight from you and others who are much more knowledgeable about fly fishing and gear involved than i will ever achieve.
I wouldn't even consider myself an intermediate beginner at fly fishing, mostly what i have done since 1991 is run saltwater charters in Ninilchik (aka Deep Creek)Alaska, first running a boat for my Father for a few years,then my own boats since.
Reading on this forum and another, really does make me remember what it was like to be a beginner back then, and remember how fortunate i was (and am) to have been taught by a few of the guys who were some of the first to start that charter fishery.
This site is a wealth of knowledge.
Thank you