Sage LL vs Scott GS vs Winston Pure Comparison- Solid info from Telluride Angler

Upstate08

Reaction score
The folks at TA were very appreciative of the advice and apologetic for the inconvenience. They had no idea the link was down. Before they could get it fixed, John Duncan sent me a PDF copy of the article and offered to throw in a free fly line should I purchase a rod from them. A solid crew there. I’d be a regular customer if I didn’t live so far away...

Norseman, you should send this to Scott and see if they’ll put it on a t-shirt : )
I just want to Fly Fish. I don’t want to
over think things, use what I know works, and buy the expensive Scott Rods.

falcon53

Reaction score
I wish Telluride wouldn't go deleting their old reviews. They often get rid of their great model-by-model comparisons once a rod is discontinued. The reviews on the Radian are hard to find now, for example... maybe because the reviews on Centric discuss all the faults of the Radian that were mysteriously absent when it first came out... :D

I agree. I would like to see deleted reviews such as the Sage One review.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
That's because the Radian was the Latest Greatest but then they found out about all it's deficiencies.;) Besides it doesn't help sell new rods which is what keeps them in business, or no more reviews. So, I guess it's a tradeoff. They might be able to forward you some of these old reviews.

el jefe

Reaction score
I wish Telluride wouldn't go deleting their old reviews. They often get rid of their great model-by-model comparisons once a rod is discontinued. The reviews on the Radian are hard to find now, for example... maybe because the reviews on Centric discuss all the faults of the Radian that were mysteriously absent when it first came out... :D

TA reviewed the Radian as a great rod, and I will testify to the veracity of that with my 906, but apparently it fell out of favor when the Centric the world-beating Centric was introduced. Wait 'til you find out what a piece of $h!? the Centric is when its successor debuts!!

johan851

Reaction score
Found a few, I'm not sure every model had a review. If you have a particular one in mind maybe I can find it. Or just check here.

Sage ONE 590:
Long casting 5-weight

Posted by John Duncan (Telluride Outside) on 5th Sep 2011

I cast the Sage ONE 590-4 with an SA Textured Magnum WF5F line and firmly believe that a heavy-headed line (like this one) is needed to bring the best action out of this rod. As advertised, the 590-4 ONE is among the longest casting rods I've ever thrown. I was surprised by how "fast" the rod is, however, more similar to the TCX than the Z-Axis, by a mile. I'm not normally a fan of ultra-fast rods, but I have to say that this one stands apart from all others. I really noticed the physical lightness. To me, the TCX feels like a board. The ONE feels like a rocket in liftoff. The torsional stability is greater than any rod I've ever cast, bar none. Loop shape and line speed are superior to any rod I've ever cast, with no exceptions. My caveat in recommending this rod is that you really have to want a fast action fly rod. In my opinion, this is a very fast rod, even with a heavy weight forward line. If you love the lightness of the rod but want to fish at short distances, overline it by one.
Line recommendation: SA Textured Magnum, Rio Grand
Sage ONE 690:
One of the best in the series

I should precede this review by stating that I am biased toward fast-action 6-weights. My 6-weight fishing is categorically streamer fishing and I like a stiff rod for chucking streamers. I cast this rod with an SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper WF6 line and, from the first cast, thought it was the best 6-weight I've ever thrown. I actually prefer the grip on the 690-4 over the full Wells grip on this model. I have medium-sized hands and like the contour and overall size of the slightly smaller grip. None of the ONE rods are particularly good at short range, so the super-fast style of this series has more virtue in the higher line weights. I probably wouldn't buy a ONE in a 4-weight, but defintely in a 6-weight. To summarize, this is the lighest, most powerful, long casting, crisp and stable 6-weight I've ever cast (I say this about both the 690-4 and 691-4 ONE, which are built on the same blank). Of the ONE rods that I've tested, I would rate the 690-4 and 691-4 as "most true to line weight." As advertized, the ONE rod is 25% lighter than any other Sage and has truly remarkable stability and casting accuracy. If you want a race car 6-weight, you just found it.

Line recommendation: SA Textured GPX Taper, SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper or GPX Taper, Rio Gold.
Sage ONE 691:
Favorite 6-weight ever?

I should precede this review by stating that I am biased toward fast-action 6-weights. My 6-weight fishing is categorically streamer fishing and I like a stiff rod for chucking streamers. I cast this rod with an SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper WF6 line and, from the first cast, thought it was the best 6-weight I've ever thrown. I prefer the grip on the 690-4 over the larger grip on the 691-4. I have medium-sized hands and like the contour and overall size of this slightly smaller grip, even for long casts. None of the ONE rods are particularly good at short range, so the super-fast style of this series has more virtue in the higher line weights. I probably wouldn't buy a ONE in a 4-weight, but defintely in a 6-weight. To summarize, this is the lighest, most powerful, long casting, crisp and stable 6-weight I've ever cast. Of the ONE rods that I've tested, I would rate the 690-4 and 691-4 as "most true to line weight." As advertized, the ONE rod is 25% lighter than any other Sage and has truly remarkable stability and casting accuracy. If you want a race car 6-weight, you just found it.

Line recommendation: SA Textured GPX Taper, SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper or GPX Taper, Rio Gold.

johan851

Reaction score
Thanks Johan if you find the review on the 9 1/2ft Sage One 5wt please pass it along or let me know where I can find it. Thanks again.
All it's got is the description:
The Sage 596-4 ONE is versatile rod for float tubing and big river fishing. The extra 6" adds greatly to mending ability, roll casting, fly steering and hook setting. This is a terrific nymphing rod!