Sage Pulse 9'6" 5 weight or competition style nymphing rod?

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm in the market for a rod that will be used primarily for nymphing. I've strongly considered a 10' 3 weight Syndicate rod, but I'm hesitant to jump to a competition style rod because I both love to fish streamers and often find that they are the ticket on my local waters at certain times throughout the day. So I'm curious how this particular Sage Pulse might fare as a nymph rod, but also tossing the occasional streamer and dry?

I'd be using the rod for both Czech and indicator styles of nymphing. I need a rod with some back bone, but one that can deal with lighter tippets.

Feel free to weigh in. For primarily a nymphing rod, am I better off with a competition style? Does anyone have expirience with this particular model?

scoutm

Reaction score
No Direct experience with the Pulse but there are many who have given it high praise. Granted all of them sell the rod so take it all with a grain of salt. I believe it was trident fly shop that said it was the sleeper of the sage lineup.

Here's a good review that might help you decide....

Second look at the SAGE Pulse - Headhunters Fly Shop

coolkyle

Reaction score
This is mostly an educated guess, but I do have the 9'6" 6wt Pulse. If the 5 is like the 6, it isn't all that delicate, which is what I personally like for Czech nymphing. A strong 10' 4wt can fish streamers well with the right line. My Pulse is a great streamer rod, also good with indicators in the wind. A good boat rod.

I've used 150 grain Streamer Express on the Scott A4 1004 and loved it. I've also used it with dries for cutthroat, bobber rigs, and a whole lot of Euro style. It loves WF5F also even used it with a 6wt Trout LT for some amazing roll casting.

The Scott Flex or Orvis Recon 10' 4 would do well, or the Redington Hydrogen if you want to save a few bucks. Is there a Syndicate 4wt?

wf0

Reaction score
I chuck streamers (25'+) with a 9m French leader on my 10' 2wt and 11' 3. A little akin to spin casting, but with a haul. Upstream, downstream. Action, dead drift, swing. Bugger, clouser, leech. It's all good! Past 35' I will switch to a 100gr teeny BS-100 for more typical sinktip streamer fishing in bigger, deeper pools.

Nymphing rods. They're not just for breakfast, anymore.TM

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Unfortunately at this time Syndicate does not make a 4 weight, but they probably will at some point. I considered the Hydrogen but heard of breaking issues.

I think the syndicate 3 weight could chuck a size 6 streamer but might be interesting.

el jefe

Reaction score
With a 3100-4 Sage ESN (original version), in addition to Czech nymphing, I have fished a dry, dry-dropper, and a streamer. It handles those much better than you'd think. I'd heard it would handle a dry pretty well (it can LAUNCH a dry with that 10' length), but I was truly surprised at how well it handles a streamer.

As an alternative, in my research of trout spey rods (see streamer use), it seems some guys use them to double as European nymphing rods, so there would appear to be some crossover in their design. I will leave it to those more experienced than I to vouch for or contest my take on that, but perhaps a trout spey rod also suits your needs. And wouldn't you know it, there's a trout spey rod in the Sage Pulse line.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
With a 3100-4 Sage ESN (original version), in addition to Czech nymphing, I have fished a dry, dry-dropper, and a streamer. It handles those much better than you'd think. I'd heard it would handle a dry pretty well (it can LAUNCH a dry with that 10' length), but I was truly surprised at how well it handles a streamer.

As an alternative, in my research of trout spey rods (see streamer use), it seems some guys use them to double as European nymphing rods, so there would appear to be some crossover in their design. I will leave it to those more experienced than I to vouch for or contest my take on that, but perhaps a trout spey rod also suits your needs. And wouldn't you know it, there's a trout spey rod in the Sage Pulse line.
I will look into the Spey rods as well. A friend is going to let me try out his competition style rod soon so I hope that this will give me a better idea.