Sage x or Orvis 3f

Vic_can

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m in the market for a new rod. Going to be either a sage x or Orvis 3f. Only thing is that i see that they have been out for a while
And there has been some people testing a new Orvis rod. Is now a good time to buy one of these rods or should I wait to see if they go on sale soon?

LOC

Reaction score
Try contacting Orvis directly and ask if they have a release date for the new rod.

coho52

Reaction score
I have no inside information, but I assume that if Orvis has a ready replacement for the H3, it would be announced leading up to, or at, the IFTD show in Denver (October 20-22). Even if/when announced, they would likely do a gradual rollout with popular models like the 905 and 908 out first, then other models after. (Same as they did with the H3).

Given all the supply problems across all industries this year, I'd be surprised if many models were available until early to mid 2022 (and that assumes they announce something at IFTD).

I think IFTD is the likely venue because I saw a writeup a few months ago that Orvis was supposed to release a dark blue version of the high-end Mirage reel. Given it hasn't been officially announced, I'm assuming that it will show up at IFTD (if the writeup was correct).

jdangler1

Reaction score
I had a 590X & could not get along with it. I tried different lines,& I really wanted to like it. I have other Sage rods & like them but, finally gave up, sold it & replaced with a 5 weight 3F & couldn’t be happier. To each their own, but if you can cast both first before you lay out that amount of $.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
All rod makers get prototypes out for testing by influencers generally under a cloak of discrete secrecy. It seems early for an H4 but who knows, not me.

I too have found X smoother than H3 in side by sides.

perryk

Reaction score
I had a 590X & could not get along with it. I tried different lines,& I really wanted to like it. I have other Sage rods & like them but, finally gave up, sold it & replaced with a 5 weight 3F & couldn’t be happier. To each their own, but if you can cast both first before you lay out that amount of $.
Agreed....the Orvis 3F is a far superior fishing tool....

clouserguyky

Reaction score
For a 10' 4wt I greatly prefer the H3. I use the 10' 5wt and it's my favorite trout rod by a long shot. I like the X series a lot, especially the 9'6" 5wt, but in a 10' 4wt configuration I think the 3F is the way to go. The 10' 4wt X will be a bit more powerful, and would be great for fishing indicator rigs and dry droppers on larger rivers. The 3F would be more of an all around fishing tool. It can fish indys, tightline/euro rigs (fly line or mono, either way), dries and can handle small streamers.

Choptanked

Reaction score
What lines do people like on the H3f 905? I've tried both SA Trout and MPX wf5f. Prefer the latter for feel within 45 ft, but it feels a smidge heavy. Gold or Infinity better?

clouserguyky

Reaction score
What lines do people like on the H3f 905? I've tried both SA Trout and MPX wf5f. Prefer the latter for feel within 45 ft, but it feels a smidge heavy. Gold or Infinity better?
Both the 3F and 3D can cast a variety of lines, and it depends on what you want it to do. For dry flies, I'd go with something like SA Trout or Rio Gold if you prefer, and for all purpose I'd go with Infinity or MPX. It will handle any of those lines great. A double taper isn't a bad move either.

jdangler1

Reaction score
Both the 3F and 3D can cast a variety of lines, and it depends on what you want it to do. For dry flies, I'd go with something like SA Trout or Rio Gold if you prefer, and for all purpose I'd go with Infinity or MPX. It will handle any of those lines great. A double taper isn't a bad move either.
Thanks Clouserguyky, I was going to add that I also like the Airflo River & Stream but I‘m not sure Airflo makes that line anymore.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Thanks Clouserguyky, I was going to add that I also like the Airflo River & Stream but I‘m not sure Airflo makes that line anymore.
Absolutely! I meant to mention that one too but had the same thoughts that it might have been recently discontinued.