Salmon Fly Tie Along

flytie09

Reaction score
Steve I'd carry on. You ended the hackle in the perfect spot to start your wing. The gp tippet veil on the tail is extra juicy, the butt looks good and the tinsel work is fine. The throat is a skosh long.....but we'll call it a spey variant. When you get the wing set in.....you can stroke it back and it'll look great. I'd opt out of the gp tippet underwing or simply use cut fibers......looking good bud.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I'm not sure about adding the wings tonight, it's half time break right now, It will take me two hours to cut and size the wings, because I will over think it.

I looked back the GP base is not on that fly, I think I will omit the GP and have a little more wing cause my fly is size 2.

The throat spey hackle was the shortest on the skin, all of it was really long. I'll have to find some shorter hackle. I'm going to fish steelhead with this, if it ends up in a tree, bush or rock its going to hurt. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may ......... Some advice about creating the set of wings. You may find that getting the various slips to marry is easier than you may expect. Once those wings are created the big step lies ahead. Mounting them can be frustrated to say the least. Remember the vise trick I use for the mallard slip wings? That's how I pair a set of married wings as well. If they are not oversized they won't crush or split on you, they'll just tether up like a set of wings for a little blue quill.

dr d

Reaction score
If I may ......... Some advice about creating the set of wings. You may find that getting the various slips to marry is easier than you may expect. Once those wings are created the big step lies ahead. Mounting them can be frustrated to say the least. Remember the vise trick I use for the mallard slip wings? That's how I pair a set of married wings as well. If they are not oversized they won't crush or split on you, they'll just tether up like a set of wings for a little blue quill.
beside progressive tying in it might be worthful to overthink the trick of my unfortuanetly too early gone guide

from bavaria who was engaged for salmon fly tying by big collectors >>> he wettened the stems of the

married wings extensively by his saliva and waitened(hours) ... then he mounted them without great problems.

have fun.

thomas

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I successfully married my first set of wings last night however in trying to set them, I got one decent set but I was not satisfied, it wasn't right and after a number of re adjustments the the blue was frayed and the rest would not stack and line out. disaster.

I made progress, try again today.

.1FEC100E-B4AC-4530-B5B2-A1AD00BF4F54.jpeg

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Ok, I am still on this, life gets in the way lately but I thoroughly destroyed wing set #2. but I did it with confidence. It looked better than set #1 and I learned more about how the wing has to compress, and the base has to be flat. It was a decent looking wing until I tried to fix it.

With some creative trick photography It could of looked ok, but it wasn't great.

Reactions: Ard

dr d

Reaction score
Ok, I am still on this, life gets in the way lately but I thoroughly destroyed wing set #2. but I did it with confidence. It looked better than set #1 and I learned more about how the wing has to compress, and the base has to be flat. It was a decent looking wing until I tried to fix it.

With some creative trick photography It could of looked ok, but it wasn't great.
try to stroke it always carefully for and back --- that is one of the tricks...;) and in the end
it will fit.have fun

thomas

flytie09

Reaction score
You never shared a pic of your final work Steve. If it's a mangled mess or not....we still want to see. We'll be gentle.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I want you to see the photo and be tough on me, how am I going to learn? Its my first married wing salmon fly. I bought a new iPhone, the old iPhone 7 was about to start on fire and literally had to be plugged into a charger constantly to work.
Behold the new iPhone 12 Pro max---- but my image hosting will not upload photos with the HEIC format, it recognizes the files as "bad file" and I found a way around that by having to download the files from iCloud and it converts to a jpeg file. and not as nice looking for some reason, very frustrating.

Life is busy its spring and not only trying to make a dime but the honey do construction list is growing, that's why I brought up the chess by mail speed in which things are getting done.

Here's where I`m at so far, Its not done, I had to pull it out of the vise to tie some caddis for the epic hatch I fished.

By chance I might finish it up this weekend.

I did buy 10- 1/0 blind eye hooks and Spanish silk gut and one Reinhold 2/0 dee hook, I cannot find #1 blind eye hooks at all and I`m not on eBay. blind eye salmon hooks are really expensive I see.

I will have everything for a silver doctor for the next fly, after I finish this one.

Last edited:

duker

Reaction score
I'll let Mike provide a more professional opinion but that looks pretty damn good to me. No way could I manage that for a first tie. Make sure you fish that--I bet it'll hunt real well.

And I'm looking forward to seeing that Silver Doctor.

flytie09

Reaction score
It's a fine first effort from here Steve. The wingset itself looks good. The tips have separated a bit...but I'll chalk that up to the material used. The color is super good. There are a few things I see that I'll point out. The hackle and throat.....needs some work. My eye is drawn to it away from the fine wing job. The longer magenta? throat spey hackle you used throws it off. It should be the same length or slightly shorter than the hackle. I'll chalk that one up to simply a constraint with what you had available.

The big thing is I think you're going to struggle with the head. There's too much thread wrapping and goose slip scraps that have been tied down. Stopping the fly where you did.....advancing the thread a little too far forward and stopping how you did is going to yield a large head. I would have said to have simply left the wing scraps intact and not have trimmed them off. Normally you do this after the overwing and JC eyes are mounted. If you had to pull it from the vise, you should have waxed the crap out of the thread and just threw on a whip finish loops.

Perhaps when you go back to it......cut the thread at the head where you stopped carefully with a razorblade and unwind some of it. Then tie in the bronze mallard overwing and JC eyes and try to trim the underwing scraps back a bit. A good pair of fine tip scissors helps. I use a cauterizing tool to clean up some of my oopsies sometimes. It'll be a little tricky from here to end the fly is all I'm saying. But as far as setting the wing you done good. Good luck....keep at it.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With what I've been doing here for the past week I'd love to be tying some more salmon flies. The difficulty level of setting all those base cabinets today makes tying a couple Jock Scots seem easy. I think you did well for the first go at married wing tying Steve. You have to do it a lot to develop a technique. Long ago when I tied all the flies I have in fly boxes and shadow boxes I was half decent but lost the touch through the years. You will see only improvement with each tie.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
It's a fine first effort from here Steve. The wingset itself looks good. The tips have separated a bit...but I'll chalk that up to the material used. The color is super good. There are a few things I see that I'll point out. The hackle and throat.....needs some work. My eye is drawn to it away from the fine wing job. The longer magenta? throat spey hackle you used throws it off. It should be the same length or slightly shorter than the hackle. I'll chalk that one up to simply a constraint with what you had available.

The big thing is I think you're going to struggle with the head. There's too much thread wrapping and goose slip scraps that have been tied down. Stopping the fly where you did.....advancing the thread a little too far forward and stopping how you did is going to yield a large head. I would have said to have simply left the wing scraps intact and not have trimmed them off. Normally you do this after the overwing and JC eyes are mounted. If you had to pull it from the vise, you should have waxed the crap out of the thread and just threw on a whip finish loops.

Perhaps when you go back to it......cut the thread at the head where you stopped carefully with a razorblade and unwind some of it. Then tie in the bronze mallard overwing and JC eyes and try to trim the underwing scraps back a bit. A good pair of fine tip scissors helps. I use a cauterizing tool to clean up some of my oopsies sometimes. It'll be a little tricky from here to end the fly is all I'm saying. But as far as setting the wing you done good. Good luck....keep at it.
Thanks for the kind words, I enjoy tying these but they are a bit maddening.
I just got home from work and catching up,

Yes the head, I put a hundred raps on it so it wouldn't fall apart after I took it out of the vise, I worked hard for that wing set. I'll fix it on the final.

I hope I can make the bronze mallard sit well and round the front of the wing a bit, I`m tempted to trim that spey hackle on the font I agree its too long, I thought it would be ok, maybe I can razor it down and have it look somewhat natural, or I'll just fish it, maybe it could be extra fish catching.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I’d say just leave the hackle as is Steve. Just make a mental note for next time.

flytie09

Reaction score
An interesting tip on setting the gp underwing. I have Ron Alcott’s Builing Classic Salmon Flies. Unfortunately I haven’t read it completely. Within it are tips on constructing AS flies. This tip we could have used. For the gp tippet underwing. Pick a left and right feather. Strip off the short side fibers completely from entire feather. Match the two feathers and cut off the tips. Tie them in…. The trick is the stem is not tied in….. the fibers are. It must be done carefully to keep it from rolling. This yields a low profile that one looks for.

7D5B56A2-FD3A-4C2E-969C-959B63318261.jpeg

I’m tempted to retie using this fly… but I’ll save for the next pattern.

Attachments

dr d

Reaction score
An interesting tip on setting the gp underwing. I have Ron Alcott’s Builing Classic Salmon Flies. Unfortunately I haven’t read it completely. Within it are tips on constructing AS flies. This tip we could have used. For the gp tippet underwing. Pick a left and right feather. Strip off the short side fibers completely from entire feather. Match the two feathers and cut off the tips. Tie them in…. The trick is the stem is not tied in….. the fibers are. It must be done carefully to keep it from rolling. This yields a low profile that one looks for.

View attachment 34855

I’m tempted to retie using this fly… but I’ll save for the next pattern.
and never forget before tying in>>moisten the stem/fibers long enough with saliva>> then it works better!

flytie09

Reaction score
What does moistening the fibers do? Does it prevent them from rolling? I ask because I haven't read about this tip anywhere. Thanks. Mike