Salmon Fly Tie Along

dr d

Reaction score
What does moistening the fibers do? Does it prevent them from rolling? I ask because I haven't read about this tip anywhere. Thanks. Mike
yes indeed.i got this tip from a master tyer of the german hunting museum in bavaria---he stored the stems
of married wings about hours in saliva to smooth them.i think the enzyms do the work.

Thomas

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I did moisten and warm the goose wing under my LED lamp, and pinched hard and let the feather warm in my fingers, then I tried to shape a bend in the tie in area before I set the wing, and I had a successful wing set. I dont want to have disasters on my more rare and expensive wing materials, which of course adds to the pressure of setting more complex wings for me.

What happens when we get 10 layers of wing? 😬 I`m nervous already.

My blind eye 1/0 salmon hooks and silk gut will be here Tuesday. I need to finish this fly today.

Last edited:

dr d

Reaction score
Right. What feathers was he soaking?
[/QUOTE

couldn't ask him..he is unfortuanetly to early gone.he spoke of over 200 classics he did
for them.i think all feathers you could imagine...which tend to roll and also were
to rare and to expensive for a double.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I am proud to write that I have completed my first classic salmon fly. What a fly tying journey this was and it has made me far better and I have learned some new skills and battled some old nemesis. I would like to thank Flytie09, Ard and the Doctor for the tech support and help on this one and all the moral support from everyone. Thank You! I am proud and confident to fish this fly.

I couldn't live with the long spey hackle on the throat, and it came to me! cutting the hackle makes it look bad, we all know this from fly tying 101 and it came to me, an old skill, the only way is to pluck it, between thumb nail and pointer nail, I plucked all the long fibers and was happy.

Feeling good from that success I had to confront an old nemesis- Bronze Mallard. I have tried to tent bronze mallard and tie classic spey flies only to have the wing end up in complete disaster. I was rattled to start but I approached it just like the married wing, methodical and looking for the right sections for color and length, also selecting left to right like flytie09 taught me. It took two attempts but I was happy with the result.

I wasn't sure what was the acceptable mallard flank length, I decided that thinner and shorter than the full wing I liked the most so I will say it was my artistic flair on that.
I opted for smaller jungle cock eyes than the standard 1/3 the size of the fly and also opted for my British cape on this fly, it seemed wrong to choose another cape.
I also decided against the barred wood duck slip under the mallard, might of looked cool though.

I tried to snap a few photos, but it just didn't capture it, I was just done putting a hard as hull coat one on the head and was inspired to grab a gold colored box for a backdrop and take a picture. Two more coats of hull are going on now.

My first salmon fly is done.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
It’s a fine first effort Steve. Kudos to you for stepping outside your comfort zone and for testing your skills. Also thanks for challenging myself to try something new. And to Ard for participating. All fine fish worthy flies.

Is there another one to prepare for?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Hooks Arrived- So what's the best way to attach the Spanish silk braid to the hook? Please keep in mind, I will have to land large salmon on these hopefully. :unsure:

flytie09

Reaction score
I just use regular thread and tie down the loop eye maybe halfway down the shank and then superglue it. Stagger the cut ends so there a bit of a taper. Tie in the braid so it's on the underside. Don't leave too long of an end of the shank sticking out or it will fray the loop. Check this out.

flytie09

Reaction score
To establish the dressing:

Hook - 1/0 blind eye with gut loop
Tip - Small silver oval tinsel
Tag - Yellow floss
Tail- Gp crest veiled with a kingfisher feather
Butt - Red wool yarn
Body - Large silvr flat tinsel
Ribbing - Medium silver oval tinsel
Hackle - Blue saddle hackle
Throat - Guinea
Underwing - Gp tippet
Wing - Turkey wing, blue, yellow and red goose shoulder, florican bustard
Roof - Bronze mallard
Sides - Teal and wood duck flank married
Topping - Gp crest
Horns - Blue / Gold macaw
Head - Red dubbing and black thread

Check your material stashes.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I will have to sub mottled peacock or argus for florican bustard, I do have some different turkey that looks close too but I might have some florican in the library.

The hooks I ordered, the 1/0 is only slightly larger then my #2 gamakatsu T10-6H. Are the sizes different from old to new and brand to brand?

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I’m not a hook expert. I have only a handful of blind eyes. I have some 1/0 - 3/0 Pryce Tannats I plan to use. I believe there is a difference from manufacturer, vintages and styles. But I only have a handful to compare.