Salmon Fly Tie Along

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
This version by Nick Mango is a nice one. Helps to have a step by step for it to reference.

Back to the video.

So I'm watching and picking up some pointers, and again it comes down to the wings.

He says put them on so they are facing away from each other or something like that, does he mean the curve? because it looks like they curve away from each other, on my first fly they curved into each other.

Which brings up this, I put the right slip on the right side of the fly and the left on the left and looking at the slips each color of mine has the long side on the top, there is an angle on the tip of the slip.

On this video it looks like the long side of the slip is inside down or the long side of the angle is on the bottom.

So did I put my wings on upside down?

He makes setting the wing look pretty easy, maybe it is if the wings are on right but it wasn't easy for me at all.

flytie09

Reaction score
I can’t tell what you did on the previous fly Steve. But right slips go on the rear and left slips on the front side towards you. That’s looking at a feather with the stem side (bad side) facing down and the good (money side) up. The matched slips will curve into each other when mounted on the hook. Like when you cup your two hands and bring them together. I was doing this backwards for a while so I understand it can get confusing.

3AA8D803-6D71-4689-9BD1-90AE0EBF3361.png
655369E5-D26A-4169-8414-B353FD127349.png

Is this what you did?

flytie09

Reaction score
I can say this too.....you need to preform the shape of the wing you want before tying it in. ie... how much of a hump you want it to be. Here's a few more pointers on wing construction and mounting. And I'll be a monkey's uncle....both spit on their wing before tying it in.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I can’t tell what you did on the previous fly Steve. But right slips go on the rear and left slips on the front side towards you. That’s looking at a feather with the stem side (bad side) facing down and the good (money side) up. The matched slips will curve into each other when mounted on the hook. Like when you cup your two hands and bring them together. I was doing this backwards for a while so I understand it can get confusing.

View attachment 35093
View attachment 35092

Is this what you did?
Yes that is what I did.

flytie09

Reaction score
Alright. An all day marathon and it’s done. You sure picked a tricky pattern Steve. My effort is ok but loaded with faults. Lost the wing tinkering with the gp crest topping. I gave up and finished it anyways. Good luck. This was on a 2/0 Pryce Tannatt blind eye hook by the way.

3DB206B9-5952-459E-A84A-B202D2A5021E.jpeg
8B38021C-F8E9-4F68-9278-A9207EBC6182.jpeg

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Flytie, I think its a great fly, I didnt know it was your first attempt, saw it on spey pages, so I`m going up my comment to excellent!

This night shift got me in a bind, but I'm on this tonight. I want to fish these soon so I better get cracking.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess Ard is busy with his remodeling project and is out. No rush. Take your time, get everything taken care of and free up a quiet block of time to work on it. I was peppered by my daughter doing gymnastics while I was trying to build the wing sprinkled with my wife blabbering away about projects getting done. Blah blah blah. You have to be in the zone……

I’d like to try the Green Highlander next. A handsome pattern with Steelhead written all over it. The Kelson version is a good one for a beginner. Another of Nick’s tutorials to lead the way.

3D4975B8-5CA2-4A8A-8D5C-4AB1DBA7DD94.jpeg

Whatcha think?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Ard's pretty jammed up with the kitchen project and can't tie flies because his tying bench is home to the coffee maker and other things at the moment. I do see the end soon as the granite guy should be here to finish countertops tomorrow. Today (Sunday) I have to: swap the hinges and handle on the new refrigerator - install the cabinet that goes above the fridg - Get the microwave mounted and the wiring into the cabinet above it - install trims around base cabinets and prime / paint the toe molding that will go along the kick panels and edges of the base cabinets. That's an easy day, oh almost forgot bring in the new range late today and get it assembled and hooked up to gas & electric.

Still waiting for a call from ATEC arranging a day for me to deliver my boat to the shop for installation of new circular helm gearbox - all new control cables - new remote throttle and forward / reverse control box from Honda and then I can haul it home and go fishing without worry over any of my 13 year old cables or control units failing. Yeah I've been busy and it's almost time to dust off the mowers and get cracking on the lawn here.

Yesterday I did nothing, I was recovering from the previous 2 days. Ran out of interior work because countertop guy was here so I cleaned the deck and then did the whole thing with a recoat of translucent stain. It was the floor that killed me because I stroked the finish out with a 4" brush. You can apply with a roller to get finish down but if you want a solid clean look you have to drag the finish out with a brush. Couple hours on my worn out knees was a rough ending to the day. It does look good but I was no good the following day. I've stayed on this thing every day for three weeks now and we should have an operational kitchen by Monday night or Tuesday morning.

I did spool up a 600 grain super Scandi long onto my Taupo Perfect (yes Mike I had 2 of them ;)) and I need to make a few new mini heads for fishing soon. The reel is for a GaelForce 13'9" Destination 8/9 that I took in over the winter. When I started reel shopping I found that some of the popular disc reels weighed up to 7 1/2 ounces which is what an empty Taupo weighs so I decided to use what I have. Catching kings on a Perfect is an interesting thing so this should be a fun June :)

flytie09

Reaction score
Looks good. You might have taken the gut a bit too far back. I stagger the joints, unwind the end a bit and make sure I'm a ways away from where the butt is. You don't want a big hump where you start your body and ribbing. You want a nice even profile. I also coat with a thin layer of superglue to insure it doesn't pull out.

Reactions: Ard

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thanks for that Flytie, the gut is a little big, the hook is not tapered and I did leave it long and tapered the ends for a fishing fly, like it looked on the video it went back near the bend, super glued for maximum protection.

s fontinalis

Reaction score
also softening up the gut with some water or saliva and chewing it to a flatter profile will aid with the smoother transition when combined with tapered ends. Being soft from the moisture, the gut will conform to the shape of the shank and reduce bulk too.

flytie09

Reaction score
is there an Atlantic Salmon fly tying tip that doesn’t include one spitting all over the place. Just curious. :unsure: The magical juice.