Salmon River Pulaski fisherman

KenBrown

Reaction score
Im just curious as to how many people have made the trek to the Salmon River in the Pulaski NY area. I haven't been there in like 20 years when I went with my dad and we did the googan 'snag' fishing. It was awesome trying to battle a 30lb+ salmon while standing in waist deep water while trying to not fall down.

If I do ever get back up there, I want to actually try to catch a salmon on the fly during the fall run. Is this a viable venture or is the area just completely over-run with googan's anymore?

flytie09

Reaction score
I grew up 30 minutes away from there and venture back every year for 1-2 weeks since I moved after college the past 25 years. So I've seen and learned a lot in the past 38 years fishing up there.

The Salmon River clown show is unchanged. There are more people actually trying to fish for them....which is good. But, the river still gets crowded top to bottom. There are still alot of knuckleheads there spotting, lifting, lining and flossing fish left and right, and finding a spot to actually fish sometimes isn't worth the effort and can be frustrating to put it mildly.

Add in the chaos of more and more guides and drift boats floating through every 10 minutes.......it's not worth it anymore for me.

The Douglaston Salmon Run on the lower stretch is a pay to play scenario for $50 - $90 per day and is an alternative...but it's not easy getting a pass during peak season. I'm not a big fan of the fact that the Barclay family has profited the past 30+ years from fish that are there (in large part) as a result of public funding and the lawsuit over public access that was lost on a public navigable waterway. But that's a whole other discussion. The Tailwater Hotel is another option where you have access to the 1/4 mile stretch on their property if you're staying there. Book your room early.

I personally haven't been there before Halloween the past 20 years for these reasons. I wait for the Salmon to finish their spawning, colder/more extreme weather, deer season and funny farm to clear out to target Steelhead exclusively.

Bring your googan spray with you.

Cheers

KenBrown

Reaction score
I do remember seeing the 'pay to fish' area but we never fished there because it didn't make any sense to pay to fish a section of river. We used to fish the area which was known as 'the gravel pit' back then. I think there is a campground in that stretch now and you cant even get down there without needing to have a camping spot. The last couple of times we went up, we didn't even go to the Salmon river. We ended up going to the little Sandy Creek which was a lot less crowded.

I thought there was a 'fly fishing only' section but I have no idea if it was actual or what I was told.

For the most insanity, we would head over to Oswego and see the even more insane googan gathering on the cat walk. Never seen so much **** in one spot in my life. We did find out that you can throw plugs as long as you are on the one side of the bridge. At most, there were only 2 or 3 other people over there. Ended up catching some nice big 'ol brown trout and a couple Salmon that way.

patrick62

Reaction score
I went about 18 years ago with some fellows who go every year. It was crowded and crazy and, frankly, not very much fun. I haven't been back.

KenBrown

Reaction score
I went about 18 years ago with some fellows who go every year. It was crowded and crazy and, frankly, not very much fun. I haven't been back.
Same here. That's why when we did go on subsequent trips, we hit the smaller tribs instead. I can only imagine how nasty it is there anymore..

quadesherwood

Reaction score
I fish this river almost every weekend. I love it in the summer. It is a beautiful river and small mouth are tons of fun. Around september, it turns into a nightmare. I hate that this river was my introduction to salmon fishing because it has put a bad taste in my mouth.

This is the pineville pool the 2nd week of aug. That's when I find new water. Occasionally, I'll fish the DSR mid week when I'm feeling lucky. I'll go to the meadow pool with the spey rod and sure enough, there is a guy that will stand at the head of the pool and drift a egg sucking leach in the same spot for hours.

I still love that place and the locals around Altmar. No better coffee than at Malinda's spey shop. Ask her what deals she has on egg sacks when you go ;)

Quade

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mspaci01

Reaction score
My father in law was a main stay at Malindas for many years & is buried in Altmar overlooking the river. He lived in Mexico. I still wouldnt go u there fishing. It was just too agrivating, Mike

motts

Reaction score
I thought there was a 'fly fishing only' section but I have no idea if it was actual or what I was told.
It has probably been at least10 years since I've been up there to fish, but there was a fly fishing only section just below the hatchery if my memory serves me correctly regarding the location; I don't know if that's still true though. I caught more steelhead up there than salmon. I've stayed away and/or found other areas to fish because of the crowds and ensuing circus others have mentioned.