Salmon River Success!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Finally managed to catch a King on the Salmon River today. Fishing was rough for most. I moved around quite a bit and saw very few fish hooked up, let alone be caught. I started out at dawn and finally scored shortly before noon. He put up a good fight, making 3 pretty decent runs, with the last one sapping his strength. The Salmon season is definitely on it's way out. Hopefully Steelhead with be showing up in good numbers very soon. 20201022_112242.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
Looks like an egg sucking leech that’s hidden underwater above his tail.

I agree as far as taste...... smoking is about the only way to make it edible. Brine them well.....use a good glaze and don’t dry it out. If you don’t like it.....cats will love it.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
after you taste that guy you will never want to keep another one :LOL:
what did you catch him on?
Looks like an egg sucking leech that’s hidden underwater above his tail.

I agree as far as taste...... smoking is about the only way to make it edible. Brine them well.....use a good glaze and don’t dry it out. If you don’t like it.....cats will love it.
Actually I thought it tasted fine. I baked it with olive oil, some spices and lemon juice. Even my finicky wife and one of my kids liked it. This wasn't my first Salmon ever, only for this year. I usually keep one or two a season. If they are so dark that you have a hard time seeing the spots I won't bother keeping them. But that's just me. You are right about the egg sucking leech. But I want it known that that fly was hooked legit, in the corner of the mouth. It's position in the pic is only where I dropped it after removal.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Actually I thought it tasted fine. I baked it with olive oil, some spices and lemon juice. Even my finicky wife and one of my kids liked it. This wasn't my first Salmon ever, only for this year. I usually keep one or two a season. If they are so dark that you have a hard time seeing the spots I won't bother keeping them. But that's just me. You are right about the egg sucking leech. But I want it known that that fly was hooked legit, in the corner of the mouth. It's position in the pic is only where I dropped it after removal.
I believe that you hooked it in the mouth 👍
but there is no way I believe you liked the taste ;)