Salt Lake City Fishing Recommendations

zjory

Reaction score
My parents just moved to SLC so I’ll be spending some time out there this summer. Looking for recommendations for fly shops and areas to fish. My preferred Summer fishing style is long hikes into alpine lakes and creeks. Any pointers to something along these lines or a good guide outfit would be greatly appreciated.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Western Rivers Fly Shop in SLC is a nice shop with good info. Trout Bum 2 in Park City is good too. Sounds like you’ll enjoy the high Unitas... Beautiful hiking and great fishing. If you need a great guide, let me know.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Jan's in Park City is another good shop with lots of local knowledge. The middle stretch of the Provo River has good public access. You couldn't ask for better territory for "long hikes into alpine lakes and creeks" than the high Uintas.

mattd3379

Reaction score
Also might want to look into Boulder Mountain and surrounding areas out of Torrey, UT. The Uintas are great but with the pandemic, last year was crazy busy up there.

teledan

Reaction score
Jan's in Park City is another good shop with lots of local knowledge. The middle stretch of the Provo River has good public access. You couldn't ask for better territory for "long hikes into alpine lakes and creeks" than the high Uintas.
Yeah Jans is good. Same owners as Fishwest. BTW, Fishwest is opening a new store right on Main Street in Park City.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
The Provo River, the Weber River, & Strawberry Reservoir.
I'm still sore over the very huge fish that broke off my size 24 on the provo. It could have been the biggest trout I ever caught up to that time. Everytime I think about it the fish gets bigger! There are also nice big fish in Strawberry. It is a great tube lake. Locals fish daphnia egg pattern I think they call it. I have no clue how to fish that so I just strip a wooly bugger and never go home empty handed.