Salt water reels

Rip Tide

Reaction score
During one very memorable blitz, the beach was covered with these juvenile sea herring that were being forced out of the water for as far as you could see
The reason that I remember this so well is that I didn't catch a single fish the whole time
You could reach down and touch them as they bitzed the bait around your feet, but they were only interested in the real thing

019.jpg

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Reel = Allen Fly Fishing Omega. Perfect in every way.
Backing = good ole 30# Dacron.
Fish = Dem Bones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flafly14

Reaction score
Reel: I've been very happy with my sage 3400D and 3200D for a long time. But I recently got a Danielsson that I think I'm going to like better.
Backing: don't have a favorite. I'm going to try this hollow core super braid stuff.
Fish: There's something about a snook that I just like more than any other fish. I love getting them on poppers.

driftless22

Reaction score
For saltwater fishing, I've recently switched to Nautilus ccf-x2 reels. So far, I really like them....the drag system is excellent, and the quality of construction is equally good. Hopefully, they will also prove to be durable in the long run.

I still use 30 lb Dacron.

In regard to favorite fish, I'll second the vote for Snook.

pnc

Reaction score
If favorite is length of time used. Then Abel, Bauer, Fin Nor, and Islander. All cork drags. The Islander, has the narrowest spool, which I like. But the Abel, has seen more use. No scratches, but more dents than anything else. A lot of it's use was from jettys.
Have newer sealed drag reels, which are seeing more use. Are growing on me. But still, favor the reels with big cork drags.
Backing is either dacron (30lb), or gel spun (think 50 or 60lb if more backing is wanted).
Surprised to see Blues being reported off Texas. I'm on the gulf side of FL. Now for 20+ years. Have only seen/caught 3 in that time. Cocktails, which to me are bigger than Snappers. Though not as big as Taylor sized fish.
Don't view them as "mean". They are pelagic. So they swim, eat, and make snappers.
Other species may be targeted more. But Blues, can be spectacular. Saw one once jump out of the water to hook itself on a lure hanging from a surf rod. I was laughing, before the guy holding the rod. Looked over and said, that's the easiest one I ever caught. Then got finger bit, and howled. Once saw one explode from the face of a wave. To attack a plug a friend was fishing in mid air. Big high teen, maybe 20lb. Had to travel 6 or 8' through the air to take plug.