Saltwater Fish Photos....Post Here!

rc51sport

Reaction score

Not the best photo, but this is the biggest sight fished speckled trout I’ve caught to date, caught on this past Monday afternoon trip. The fish went a little beyond 26”, my measure stick goes to just beyond 25”. Over 6 pounds on the boga grip scale. About average on the length to weight ratio for the species.

I was bumping along in the kayak in reef and gut water searching for fish and had been seeing and at times catching various fish Iike sheepshead, black drum, smaller redfish and trout. This particular fish was up ahead some destroying mullet or anything that dared to come off the edge of the reef. I paddled the kayak over something like 75 yards to investigate the commotion. The water was clear green and I didn’t want to risk getting too close and spooking the fish so I made my shot standing in the Commander from about 70 feet and with my offhand since the little SE wind favored that side. It was with my 7/8 weight CGR and a tan size 4 borski slider. Fly landed about three or four feet from the trout and it moved right for the fly for the eat.

The fish initially came mostly towards me and was off the reel. I ended up managing it off the reel for the entire fight. When I got it close to the kayak it was then when it really battled. They don’t call speckled trout “paper mouths” for nothing so I was really careful not to put too much pressure on the fish risking tearing the delicate mouth membranes. I think the fiberglass rod helped quite a bit with softening the several powerful surges the fish made.

Getting that trout in the net, the whole work up to it and the cast, all of it, was certainly a major highlight of my fishing year. A six pound redfish will run farther and faster and likely pull harder, but the rarity of and difficulties with sight fishing quality speckled trout and bringing one all the way to hand puts it well above a similar sized redfish, at least for my own estimation. No offense to the redfish because I do love them so very much.
Nice trout! Reminds me of the ones I used to get back home fishing the flats for black tips and bulls. When something takes a whole lady fish or mullet like that you're not really expecting a trout

Good job! Nice fish

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lacivic99

Reaction score
Awesome trout! I know sight fishing the big ones is a serious accomplishment. Hope to scratch that off my list this winter, but hell i've been saying that for 3 years now.

okaloosa

Reaction score

Not the best photo, but this is the biggest sight fished speckled trout I’ve caught to date, caught on this past Monday afternoon trip. The fish went a little beyond 26”, my measure stick goes to just beyond 25”. Over 6 pounds on the boga grip scale. About average on the length to weight ratio for the species.

I was bumping along in the kayak in reef and gut water searching for fish and had been seeing and at times catching various fish Iike sheepshead, black drum, smaller redfish and trout. This particular fish was up ahead some destroying mullet or anything that dared to come off the edge of the reef. I paddled the kayak over something like 75 yards to investigate the commotion. The water was clear green and I didn’t want to risk getting too close and spooking the fish so I made my shot standing in the Commander from about 70 feet and with my offhand since the little SE wind favored that side. It was with my 7/8 weight CGR and a tan size 4 borski slider. Fly landed about three or four feet from the trout and it moved right for the fly for the eat.

The fish initially came mostly towards me and was off the reel. I ended up managing it off the reel for the entire fight. When I got it close to the kayak it was then when it really battled. They don’t call speckled trout “paper mouths” for nothing so I was really careful not to put too much pressure on the fish risking tearing the delicate mouth membranes. I think the fiberglass rod helped quite a bit with softening the several powerful surges the fish made.

Getting that trout in the net, the whole work up to it and the cast, all of it, was certainly a major highlight of my fishing year. A six pound redfish will run farther and faster and likely pull harder, but the rarity of and difficulties with sight fishing quality speckled trout and bringing one all the way to hand puts it well above a similar sized redfish, at least for my own estimation. No offense to the redfish because I do love them so very much.
That is one gator there! I love reds also but a speck that size on a fly rod is a fish you will never forget! congrats!!!

CWFlies

Reaction score
One of my favorite fish to catch on fly. False permit aka pompano. When the winter fishing for Snook, and tarpon slows down these little guys get on the flats and let you site cast them on fly just like permit except they are far less spooky and you can target them with a 6wt.
75522041_149296033082116_7800754958613086208_o.jpg

lacivic99

Reaction score
Any advice on finding these guys? I've never seen them on the flats around mosquito lagoon area, might need to get closer to the inlet.

CWFlies

Reaction score
Any advice on finding these guys? I've never seen them on the flats around mosquito lagoon area, might need to get closer to the inlet.
Lacicic99 yes you will want to be closer to an inlet when they come through your area. That being said we do find them here in Stuart way back in the river in certain locations but everyone its not as fun because its deeper water. If you find a flat they hang on regularly be there at low tide and fish the start of incoming. The colder the day the better. They will school up and tail. You will still want a intermediate line in shallow water and a heavy fly that puffs sand. Better areas not too far from you would be sebastian, Ft pierce and Stuart.

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
Surf perch season is starting to heat up here in Central California. Gives us something to look forward to in the winter besides holiday traffic and chilly rains.
IMG_20191124_100128_122.jpgIMG_20191204_131839_847.jpgIMG_20191210_111544_503.jpgIMG_20191129_095947_946.jpg

2ltdjorn

Reaction score
Got one! Day#1 I landed two and lost two.

On glass 10 wt.

Got 2 more days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camelbrass

Reaction score
Just going over some of the photos from my February trip to Alphonse. A decent GT caught over the white sand

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

swfl daz

Reaction score
33" snook on a home-tied glitter green gurgler. Not my biggest snook to date, but one of the few times I had a photographer on board. You just can't beat a big fish smashing a top water fly in skinny water. Still looking to break the 40" mark...

DSCN0417 cropped.JPG