Saltwater Fish Photos....Post Here!

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Great pics of beautiful fish.May I give you a couple of tips? Please don't use those lip gripper things.There's no need as Bonefish have a soft lip and you can easily handle them with a thumb and finger as you would a Bass.Secondly,the easiest and best way to keep a Bonefish quiet (e.g to release a hook) is to simply turn the fish upside down.....it will immediately be immobile.
Thanks

brooktrout21

Reaction score
Great pics of beautiful fish.May I give you a couple of tips? Please don't use those lip gripper things.There's no need as Bonefish have a soft lip and you can easily handle them with a thumb and finger as you would a Bass.Secondly,the easiest and best way to keep a Bonefish quiet (e.g to release a hook) is to simply turn the fish upside down.....it will immediately be immobile.
Thanks
Thanks for the tips. The boga is just to get an accurate weight. My fish are never out of the water for more than a few seconds and are handled with care. But...I’m sure they don’t care for the extra weight during the picture lift. I’ll remember to remove the boga, good catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

camelbrass

Reaction score
This fish has been my nemisis locally although others have had little trouble catching them. Finally I connected and stayed connected with a small Golden Trevally and then, like London busses, caught another one 2 casts later

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

hatidua

Reaction score
A few summer 2020 Hawaiian bones.

Nice fish but looking at that photo is downright painful.

I used to own all three sizes of the Boga line, doubles of a few of them and I faithfully used them for years. In hindsight I cringe. There have been mortality studies of (I believe redfish) that were in a tank wherein half were weighed and half were not and the mortality rate within a week of the ones that were weighed on Boga type grips was enough to get me to list every Boga grip I had on eBay. If I want a weight now I weigh the net they are in.

We've all been there, it's not me pointing some high/mighty finger at you as I've weighed countless numbers of fish myself, but please consider a different method. Don't worry, you can easily get your investment back by selling that Boga grip to some meat fisherman who is going to grill whatever they catch for dinner anyway.

Nice bonefish, sorry for the rant/

brooktrout21

Reaction score
Nice fish but looking at that photo is downright painful.

I used to own all three sizes of the Boga line, doubles of a few of them and I faithfully used them for years. In hindsight I cringe. There have been mortality studies of (I believe redfish) that were in a tank wherein half were weighed and half were not and the mortality rate within a week of the ones that were weighed on Boga type grips was enough to get me to list every Boga grip I had on eBay. If I want a weight now I weigh the net they are in.

We've all been there, it's not me pointing some high/mighty finger at you as I've weighed countless numbers of fish myself, but please consider a different method. Don't worry, you can easily get your investment back by selling that Boga grip to some meat fisherman who is going to grill whatever they catch for dinner anyway.

Nice bonefish, sorry for the rant/
I’m not afraid of change, but I would like to see the study if you have it. What specifically was killing the redfish? Were they breaking jaws on heavy fish or something?

Last edited:

brooktrout21

Reaction score
Nice fish! What's that Fly please? Thanks in advance.
It’s a fly I designed. Basically a shrimp pattern with natural fiber (marabou and rabbit) in place of synthetic. Mantis shrimp, crab....it can be whatever they want. All I know is that it works really well. I call it the “808 flats gangster”. In addition to bonefish I broke off a really nice golden trevally on this pattern yesterday and caught quite a few bluefin trevally with it as well.

Last edited:

brooktrout21

Reaction score
Is it just rabbit fur tail and palmered marabou? No rabbit strip? Looks like a fun tie and can imagine why it's so effective
Marabou and rabbit tail with rubber legs. Small dubbing ball then palmered marabou all the way to the eyes. Finally rabbit in front of the eyes.

lacivic99

Reaction score
Are those blue fins on the bonefish, or just the reflection from your shirt? Maybe there is something to the theory that redfish get their blue fins from the crabs and other crustaceans they consume.