Saltwater Fly Box For Wade Fishing

dswice

Reaction score
I'm just getting into wade fishing in saltwater and I'd like to know what fly box(es) work well in this situation. This will mainly be in calmer areas, so I do not anticipate fighting big waves. and getting soaked. I want something small enough to carry in my pocket if possible (prefer not to use a pack or sling). Thanks.

original cormorant

Reaction score
You probably need to be more specific about what you are doing - tropical flats, cooler water wet wading or waders.
If you're wearing waders there's a lot you can tuck inside them. An aquapak or similar is vital for phone and car keys.

When I'm wading light all of my "consumables" are in a small double sided water-proof fly box. In one side are standard flies and in the other side a couple of poppers and bigger ugly flies, a spool of tippet and a couple of wire bite tippets. This fits in my pocket and if it falls out it floats(it has done!). Since I stopped wearing flats shirts I have to use my trouser pockets so it's vital the box is waterproof.
Nippers are on a lanyard. Dependent on where and when I may have leatherman and pliers on my belt.

If I need to carry food, water,waterproofs or whatever then I use a slingpack and more stuff that I probably won't need.

dswice

Reaction score
You probably need to be more specific about what you are doing - tropical flats, cooler water wet wading or waders.
If you're wearing waders there's a lot you can tuck inside them. An aquapak or similar is vital for phone and car keys.

When I'm wading light all of my "consumables" are in a small double sided water-proof fly box. In one side are standard flies and in the other side a couple of poppers and bigger ugly flies, a spool of tippet and a couple of wire bite tippets. This fits in my pocket and if it falls out it floats(it has done!). Since I stopped wearing flats shirts I have to use my trouser pockets so it's vital the box is waterproof.
Nippers are on a lanyard. Dependent on where and when I may have leatherman and pliers on my belt.

If I need to carry food, water,waterproofs or whatever then I use a slingpack and more stuff that I probably won't need.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm primarily looking at wet wading, so I need a small, waterproof box that will hold a dozen or more saltwater flies (clousers, baitfish and shrimp patterns, etc.) that I could carry in my shirt or pant pockets. Was wondering if someone had found a particular small fly box that worked well for wet wading in saltwater. Brand and size info would be helpful.

proheli

Reaction score
My fav is the plan D, look at the small one. Here is mid size, its a bit too bit for cargo pants. Those are a couple of 4” flys in that box. That pink pic is just a 4”x2”x1” piece of Tupperwar. That’s 4 Clowser’s 2 Bush pigs a tarpon fly and a couple of minnows. There is no need to get complicated in the salt if you don’t want to.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

hatidua

Reaction score
Fly boxes, holsters, and bike seats: it's all a matter of individual preference and very few people pick their eventual favorite on the first try.

Morell, C&F, Tacky, Cliff's, etc -they all work and they all have plus/minus aspects to them.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Coming from a salt water perspective I've always preferred C&F waterproof Fly boxes....starting with their front bellows pocket size 6x4" 10 row efforts like the CF-2555 through to the Bonefish Grand Slam for bigger Flies.They're well made and don't leak,and even the rebranded Asian knockoffs with crappy hinges aren't too bad.I'm not as keen on the alternative slit arrangements of brands like Vision and Swift but they might be OK for Trout flies.Horses for courses as @hatidua said....

mikemac1

Reaction score
Many years ago I was turned on to an alternative to fly boxes for wading saltwater flats. I get about 20-30 days annually inshore with a kayak in the Tampa Bay region. You can have any number of fly boxes in a kayak, but when you park it and wade away, a fly box is just something else you have to drag along. Since I wet wade without any type of pack, I found fly boxes to be an unnecessary encumbrance. Also, a waterproof fly box isn’t waterproof when its open, wet fingers, wet flies will inevitably bring moisture inside the box. The alternative, a guide friend of mine in Florida uses small small ziplock bags to hold flies while wade fishing. I adopted the technique several years ago. You can carry dozens of flies in these small ziplocks that can be stored in a shirt pocket. Carry a few empty ones to store wet flies when you change. When sealed, wet hands won’t introduce moisture into all your flies. Great for airline travel as well, you can pack a lot of flies in ziplocks in to a small craft box, far more than you can in a comparable sized fly box. Most craft stores will have these by the 100s for very little $$. Just a suggestion.
E06EE05B-573E-44B2-93E8-789F39781D40.jpegimage.jpg

hatidua

Reaction score
I don't know what size "pocket" we are discussing (the pockets in Patagonia fishing shirts would hold a spare SUV tire) but the smallest sizes from Morell and Tacky, pictured below, will likely fit most normal shirt pockets. I no longer carry fly boxes with o-rings in them as every.single.one has failed in terms of being watertight so I'd rather just have the boxes air out without an o-ring at all.

These boxes would be more than large enough for most flies, albeit not large mylar poppers but any bonefish fly would fit in these boxes with ease -

smallbox.jpg

dswice

Reaction score
I don't know what size "pocket" we are discussing (the pockets in Patagonia fishing shirts would hold a spare SUV tire) but the smallest sizes from Morell and Tacky, pictured below, will likely fit most normal shirt pockets. I no longer carry fly boxes with o-rings in them as every.single.one has failed in terms of being watertight so I'd rather just have the boxes air out without an o-ring at all.

These boxes would be more than large enough for most flies, albeit not large mylar poppers but any bonefish fly would fit in these boxes with ease -

View attachment 27078
Very helpful information and thanks for the pictures. Yes, I just wanted something that would fit in a normal fishing shirt pocket and these look like they would work. And I agree that an O-ring box doesn't necessarily mean that it's waterproof.

hatidua

Reaction score
These are used, still have a ton of life in them, and a few of them may fit in your pocket. You cover the postage and you can have the entire lot:

hatidua

Reaction score
OK... I've never had a C&F box leak
Go buy a lottery ticket, you sound lucky! The only reason I got into the C&F boxes was my errant thinking that the o-ring would in fact keep them watertight. I recall taking a box out of my "waterproof" fannypack (I realize that word has different connotations in other countries, I'm in the U.S.) while wading in Belize and wondered why it seemed so heavy... I opened the C&F box and it was full of water. I owned something like 18 C&F boxes at that point and put them all on eBay for pennies. The only reason I put up with their bulk was for that o-ring, and if that's merely cosmetic I can find far better boxes.

I'm happy for you that yours has never leaked, that sounds like a great box.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
OK... I've never had a C&F box leak,and their 6"x4" Medium size box mentioned above (and similar) fit perfectly in the front bellows pockets of Simms shirts.Any bigger boxes go in my Sling or Fanny pack.
I see there are some strong feelings on the C&F boxes.

The small C&F boxes are even more compact and pocketable -- though, granted, all the boxes in that size are intended for trout flies, I believe.

I've never had one leak either, and I have at least a dozen of them. I don't expect them to perform to an IP67 level. Fill your pack with water and let it sit there, yeah, you might have some water in your fly box. Along with absolutely everything else being soaked. I've guided and fished long wet days at the end of which the only dry thing I had was the inside of my C&F fly boxes. (I still set them out opened to dry after such days though.)

I've been using the Fishpond Westwater and Thunderhead submersible packs. I don't expect everything to be desert dry when I'm fishing and wading in wet conditions. But it's all worked well for me for quite a long time at this point.

Also, if you drop a closed one in the water, it will float, you can recover it, and your $300 of flies will still be dry and happy.

hatidua

Reaction score
I think C&F (and most Japanese fly boxes) are really neat designs....for that matter, pretty much anything in a Muji store. I'm happy for anyone that likes them :)