Saltwater Fly Box For Wade Fishing

original cormorant

Reaction score
I have lost my Urban Angler double sided box with "waterproof" gaskets (link in earlier posting) from my trouser pocket while deep wading and written it off as lost.. Later back in the boat I spotted it and recovered it. One side had leaked the other was dry. It's not perfect but it floats and it's half waterproof so it's better than most alternatives.

I've given up wearing flats shirts with pockets in favour of technical hoodies and t-shirts, so when wading my "consumables" box is in my trouser pocket.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Well, I like the C&F's too but can not say none have leaked on me, they have but not much. I also like the Scientific Angler boxes and their numerous imitations. They are clear lidded so you can see and double gasketed. And they come in small, medium and large sizes.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Many years ago I was turned on to an alternative to fly boxes for wading saltwater flats. I get about 20-30 days annually inshore with a kayak in the Tampa Bay region. You can have any number of fly boxes in a kayak, but when you park it and wade away, a fly box is just something else you have to drag along. Since I wet wade without any type of pack, I found fly boxes to be an unnecessary encumbrance. Also, a waterproof fly box isn’t waterproof when its open, wet fingers, wet flies will inevitably bring moisture inside the box. The alternative, a guide friend of mine in Florida uses small small ziplock bags to hold flies while wade fishing. I adopted the technique several years ago. You can carry dozens of flies in these small ziplocks that can be stored in a shirt pocket. Carry a few empty ones to store wet flies when you change. When sealed, wet hands won’t introduce moisture into all your flies. Great for airline travel as well, you can pack a lot of flies in ziplocks in to a small craft box, far more than you can in a comparable sized fly box. Most craft stores will have these by the 100s for very little $$. Just a suggestion.
View attachment 27065View attachment 27066
When I wade fished I used the small ziplocs also. I bought the "snack sized" bags in the grocery store. One or two spools of tippet and a pair of hemostats with scissor jaws were the other items I carried. As far as flies I took a popper and slider, a few clousers in various colors, and a couple of deceivers or Peanut Butter flies.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
When I was a serious long distance flats wader years ago, I wore a Nylon and mesh minimalist strap vest with two fly box pockets and a slip in tippet spool pocket. I had a ceramic nipper mounted on a GearKeeper and a pouch on the back for water...good to go.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
While I'm not suggesting that anyone should do as I do, I recently noticed that Lefty Kreh used these same cheap logo boxes
This one has seen many years of use.

IMGP10010.JPGIMGP0011.JPG

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
While I wish I could transfer some of Rip Tide's flies via photo trade from his box to mine here in Florida, I think these C&F gasketed boxes are first rate. This one is the large size but still fits in the big pocket of my Columbia fishing shirt. The dense silted foam inserts have held up like new for years now.

T20 029 Fly Box.jpg

T20 030 Fly Box.jpg

karstopo

Reaction score
The problem I’ve run across with those boxes with foam inserts or slots for the hooks is that if you use carbon steel fly hooks and if any saltwater drip or significant vapor/moisture gets in that box, you WILL, in time, get a bunch of rust ruined flies. Lots of y‘all use stainless Steel fly hooks only for saltwater applications and that‘s fine, but 95 percent of the time, I’m using either tin alloy or a dark finished carbon steel hook for the saltwater for reasons I won’t get into here.

So, rather than dealing with the foam insert boxes, I use ordinary “plano“ type boxes for storing. I generally gather up what I want to have with me on an outing and leave that box in the truck, boat or kayak and then use little PVC clam shells for wading boxes. They fit in shirt or wader pockets with no issues. The blue plastic box gets the used flies of the day. Never, ever should the used flies of the day go back into the master box without a thorough rinsing in freshwater and a thorough drying out period.31E3A5BA-1997-43D6-8DE2-1E3D39A4D68B.jpeg

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
I also use the Plano style boxes for long term storage, and then transfer the flies I need for that day/week to a box with foam insert. The foam is key for me as I have never had any luck with large saltwater hooks and the rubber inserts. The slits never are deep enough to firmly hold the hook and i end up with a jumbled mess when opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpk1996

Reaction score
I have some smaller c+f water proof boxes. And some bigger boxes as well. One thing with the salt flys, some of them are long and fluffy. So, make sure you are matching the box size to the fly size. The box may look like it holds a bunch of stuff, until you try and put a few 1/0 clousers in it. That real estate gets eaten up pretty quick. The small boxes are great for 2-4 clousers, shrimp, crabs. All that. The longer stuff needs a longer box.

I also like that fishpond San Juan pack. You can throw a few flys if you like the built in foam. Or just toss a box in there. Pliers on your belt. Nippers on a lanyard. Fly box, an extra leader or two and some tippet in the San Juan bag. I’ve even ran it like a side sling rather than a chest rig. Sweet little bag.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I'm a minimalist and I'm not wading the entire day so I'm not loaded with a backpack. I wear wader pants because I don't like soggy chaffed feet and I'll hike a couple miles as I hut for fish in the surf. Simms FreeSalt is a great boot by the way and grip well on the rocks. I have my rod with 1 or 2 flys rigged and use a flywallet in one pocket and tip wallet in a second pocket and a pair of pliers that's it. We don't need 20 patterns. We all have 4-5 go to flys and fish them 90% of the time. Hard fly boxes are just uncomfortable to carry around.

pnc

Reaction score
Whatever works for you. I've changed over from the foam you have to stick flies into. Gets filed up over time. To denser slotted foam that holds fles.
I carry one box that fits in small sling pack. Also holds pliers and hone. Small pocket in front holds pre tied tippets in zip lock bags. Again in bigger zip locks. Leaders go in pack with box.
This particular box is stuffed. With everything I could possibly want wading in salt. Almost never go in it.
I carry another box in pocket.

Have a bag that holds 3 - 8x10 Plano type boxes and another dozen smaller boxes in pockets. This goes in car. When getting to destination. That other box I carry could be one with flies for that area.
Or one that is of general type patterns. Maybe containing 3 or 4 different flies. Of different color, hook, and weight sizes. Two types of flies always. Decievers & Clouser minnows, totaling 10 flies. 4 Decievers in 2 hook sizes. 6 Clouded minnows 2ea of 3 different weight & hook sizes.. Then one or two other flies that could be anything from an, EP baitfish to a Seaducer. Whatever floats my boat at the time.
I keep stuff that I plan on using to a minimum in terms of patterns. The boxes that go in pocket. The cheap old plastic ones, are small. Maybe 3x6". One in sling pack 4x8" waterproof. The sling pack is to have pliers and hone at the ready. Tipper and leader if need be. Box in pocket is the go to.

pgbchamy

Reaction score
I have a 4x 8" waterproof box permanently attached to the front of my stripping basket, for both flies and leader material. If I do not take the basket, I use a floating eye glass case to put a few flies in.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I use daiichi SW hooks but they will still rust and the hook point goes bad 1st. I'm in the surf and maybe the sand degrades the coatings? If I use any foam and a hook goes into the foam after being in the salt it will degrade and rust over time. With a wallet the hooks go into that wool like stuff and I can hose the whole thing off and the wool does not prevent the fresh water from washing the entire hook so no rusting. What are others doing to prevent rust especially guys using foam?

pgbchamy

Reaction score
About That Rust Issue- I use a product called pump saver (about $10 that will last any fisherman a couple of years) that is used in the painting industry to protect airless sprayers from corrosion. You mix it with water and it is clear. It can be had at most paint stores and LOWES and HOME DEPOTS. You can use a saltwater pattern, tied on a bronze hook all day, drop it in the solution, leave it for a month and your hook will be as shiny as a new one.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
About That Rust Issue- I use a product called pump saver (about $10 that will last any fisherman a couple of years) that is used in the painting industry to protect airless sprayers from corrosion. You mix it with water and it is clear. It can be had at most paint stores and LOWES and HOME DEPOTS. You can use a saltwater pattern, tied on a bronze hook all day, drop it in the solution, leave it for a month and your hook will be as shiny as a new one.
How do you use it? Do you treat your hooks before you tie the fly? Do you dunk your fly in pump saver after you finish fishing? I'm trying to find the best way to do the least work.

pgbchamy

Reaction score
Add a few drops of pump saver liquid to a 5" tall plastic or glass jar (peanut butter jar) 3/4 full of water. Screw on the cover, give it a quick shake, its ready. Dunk your flies in it after fishing, put on cover and give them a good shake in the solution. You can leave your flies in for as long as you want to. Take your flies out, pat dry them with a paper towel and put them in a dry box. KEEP ON USING THAT SAME JAR OF SOLUTION- IT CAN BE USED AND ADDED TO, MANY TIMES!!!