San Juan logisitcs

yikes

Reaction score
My impression was that the businesses that are able to remain open have figured out how to scale back to the point where a skeleton crew can run the operation. Fisheads basically had 3 staff: someone managing the shop, another person to clean the rooms and trade off shifts running the shop, and another person working part-time to go buy the food and makes breakfasts and dinners. The rest of it is just calling in guides as-needed.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
What client gets within 6 feet of the crew? You're liable to get a claw hammer in the eye, or shot with a nail gun. But that's how silly this whole Covid thing can get, when clients insist on that kind of thing.

It's the same attitude that has overcome Abe's, and why the San Juan is essentially people-less right now. At first, you think it's cool the have the San Juan to yourself, and then you start thinking of the fly shop owners, the guides, the clerks at the gas stations, the bartenders and waiters at the restaurants...it's a lot of carnage. I'd rather see people on the San Juan and all of the out-of-state plates you can muster (even Texas!) than what is going on now. Yikes summarized things well, but I think it's even worse. Things may look a little different on the San Juan next year, assuming that the public health orders are even lifted by then (we are currently going backwards). I'm not sure how many businesses will survive, and it will take a while for new shops, lodging, and eateries to open. The San Juan relies heavily on out-of-state tourism--heck, our whole state does. I'm afraid of what's going to happen to our economy in New Mexico. Yikes got a little insight into what is happening here.

EDIT: Just saw Yikes's update above, which explains a bit about Abe's shutdown. You'd still think they could the convenience store, fly shop, and gas station open, but I get where they are coming from.
We see these clients every day. They sold their house in AZ and are renting the place next door. This morning I showed up to find them moving furniture in. We're still doing finish work. The furniture went back on the trailer. Seriously, some people. Had to explain my crew is not moving furniture to finish running base and case. If we had to that would be a change order and a couple of grand more. All of a sudden another 60 bucks for a month more of storage didn't look so bad. Amazes me they are spending over a million on this place and wanted to save 60 bucks.

yikes

Reaction score
We see these clients every day. They sold their house in AZ and are renting the place next door. This morning I showed up to find them moving furniture in. We're still doing finish work. The furniture went back on the trailer. Seriously, some people. Had to explain my crew is not moving furniture to finish running base and case. If we had to that would be a change order and a couple of grand more. All of a sudden another 60 bucks for a month more of storage didn't look so bad. Amazes me they are spending over a million on this place and wanted to save 60 bucks.
Just as bad: the finger pointing, if their furniture gets damaged while on a site that is still under construction - - or when there's a hole in the wall, and no one knows if the construction crew caused it, or the owner's furniture movers caused it.

Last edited: