Scandi head for Sage x 7110

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Hey guys, any line recommendations for a good versatile scandi for fall salmon and trout. Nothing too long, I have my 13 spey` and long scandi for distance.

I looked a Rio short scandi versitip and the scandi body second. I already have OPST for short floating and groove intermediate for larger heavier flies.

I think I need to speed up my swing and lighter for classic salmon flies and light weighted tubes and flies. I`d like to keep that D loop smaller, its woods back to the wall fishing where I`m at.

thanks, UF

flav

Reaction score
The scandi body is the same head as the versitip, minus the 10 foot tips. If you have 10 foot polys or tips that weigh around 75 grains there's no need to spring for the versitip, just get the body.

jjcm

Reaction score
Just curious, is there something special about the tips that come in the versi bundle? The heads are around $60 and with four tips $150. Wondering why the kit is $90 more.

flav

Reaction score
The tips are the same as the Rio replacement tips. They go for about $25 each, so the floater, intermediate, and two density sinkers is $100. You get a wallet for the tips with the versitip as well. Definitely a savings if you don't already have the tips and you plan on using all the different tip densities.

jjcm

Reaction score
The tips are the same as the Rio replacement tips. They go for about $25 each, so the floater, intermediate, and two density sinkers is $100. You get a wallet for the tips with the versitip as well. Definitely a savings if you don't already have the tips and you plan on using all the different tip densities.
Thank you. I think the price of versileaders came to my mind when I opened up Rio's site to look at this head.

Does anyone have experience with Guideline's Ultra Compact head?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
You know I read mixed reviews on the ultra compact.

If I really dig the size and weight of the scandi body with 10` MOW (my test scandi) and versileaders and I`m using coated runner this year, I`m just going take Ard`s advice and have a intragrated line made, Spring is skagit season and fall is scandi until November then its back to Skagit and the season ends and I also do scandit with a skagit commando and a floater or light sink tip. Still refining my methods on my home rivers.

huronfly

Reaction score
If you can find a skagit switch in the same grains as the scandi body you need, they are pretty much the same taper. I use a very light skagit switch as with replacement tips as a scandi versitip and it works decent.