School me on rod wt...

Moneyball

Reaction score
VA, thanks for the reply on the reel. I probably should start a new thread about something that I know will be extremely opinionated and almost impossible to answer: "Which rod and which reel should I get?" o_O Definitely need to preface that with "I would like to spend "X" amount..."

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have fished for Atlantic bonito and false albacore since the latter 70's, mostly in the NE and have seen rods explode, most recently an Orvis H3 #10 and reels lose their drags. My Capt. buddy got so pissed at a machined disc drag reel he took it off the rod and threw it overboard as far as he could....litter bug! These little tuny test tackle like few other fly rod fish. It need not be the most expensive top of the line gear but it must be intelligently designed and built to handle heavy duty, strong drag use. A minimum of 200+ yards of 60# gel spun backing and a fade proof drag...draw-bar or sacked multi element are a must. The 9 or 10-wegiht rod has to have plenty of butt power and a good firm tip...you must practice how to throw long with one back act as albies are up and down in a heartbeat.

scrapiron

Reaction score
I vote for both! An 8wt and 10wt. Really two different fish/needs.

Actually I vote for three- a 6 or 7wt for speckled trout. 😀 I mean, since it’s your money we’re spending…